Huggies Forum

2 yr old takes forever to fall asleep!!! Lock Rss

Hi there,
This problem has been ongoing for about 4 months now and I feel I have tried everything-help!!!
My son has been an excellent sleeper since birth and I have always implemented the feed, play, sleep routine and acted on his tired signs...Everything great until lately where he is tired (rubbing eyes, yawning etc) for both his day and night sleep. He has a routine of lunch,bottle on lounge(as he bangs it in cot) then his dummy, cloth nappy, teddy, I lay him down, he closes his eyes and snuggles in then about 10 minutes later BANG- he jumps up and down, calls out, chats, kicks the cot and this goes on for about 2 hours until he finally falls asleep...His night routine is dinner, bath, story and bottle then bed!!!And he does the same again..What is frustrating is that he can be quiet for about half an hour, then start up again!!!
We have tried 'interrupting' his play, laying him down, telling him to sleep and leaving the room with a minimum of fuss. We have tried ignoring him completely, but nothing works. I feel that by going in it is giving him attention, regardless of it being negative!! I know he is tired when I put him down, so what should I do??

Mel, NSW, Riley , Flynn & Ethan

Hi,
During the day don’t make a battle out of it, he will get to a time soon when the day nap will be dropped altogether.

Let him have some very quiet rest time on the lounge with a low key video and darkened room.
At night time you may want to try the settling techniques we use for 6 to 12 month old by going in and out of the room at 2,4,6,8,10mins and using the repetitive message it’s time to sleep. At the moment it sounds like he wants to be the boss so you will need to stay one step ahead of him.

Best of luck
Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic