Huggies Forum

Taking away my 14month olds dummy. Rss

Hi Maree,

You gave me some advice a couple of weeks ago thru your website regarding my son Nicholas, & his constant night waking. He was going ok for a week but has since gone back to his old habits. While at first I didn't believe the dummy was a major problem, i now have reason to change my mind!!. He has no worries going to sleep on his own, he's usually asleep within 5 or 10 minutes, the problem is he wakes about 3 of 4 times during the night. I go in & give him his dummy & he settles back to sleep immediately. Can you please help with some advice on the best way to remove his dummy & what techniques I should use for comforting him.

Thank you.

Michelle - Mum to 2

Hi Michelle,

Sometimes they do regress a week or 2 later just to try you out, they liked to old way better.
I think it is time to get rid of the dummy now. I would like you to start the controlled comforting techniques as described on the "Your Baby's Sleep" page, or get hold of a copy of the DVD.

Even though Nicholas is going down okay by himself, you need to start the techniques when he first goes down, and to start giving him the message that it’s time to sleep. Let him have the dummy but stay with him and remove the dummy just before he goes to sleep, so it’s not the last thing he remembers. When he wakes again resettle using the techniques but don’t give him the dummy again.

Good luck, Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic