Huggies Forum

Is it possible to overstimulate a baby Rss

Kira is 7 & 1/2 months old and has never been a great sleeper. Being the first child and grandchild since birth she has had a great deal of interaction with adults and I will admit was very spoilt from an early age and would get rocked to sleep, pretty much all the time.
Since about 5 months we have tried the controlled sleeping techniques and after that not working, tried the save our sleep suggestions. All this has seems to do is teach Kira that she has to stand up and scream whenever she is placed in her cot.
I often wonder whether Kira is overstimulated and so hasn't learnt how to relax, let alone how to enjoy sleeping. The worst thing is she doesn't get cranky.
For example yesterday she woke at 5:30AM and stayed up till about 8. She then had 1/2 hour nap and stayed up through her half hour swimming lesson. She then had 1/2 hour nap at 12:30 in the car while going to the zoo. She was awake all day till 4:30 when she slept the 1/2 hour to come home. She then stayed up till 7 when we had to contend with 45 minutes of screaming when trying to put her to bed. This was the first time she had been in a bad mood all day.
Having should a traumatic time each time I have to put her down for a sleep is starting to wear everyone out.
What could we try now to try and show Kira that sleeping is a good thing and not a punishment.

Donna, WA, 1st timer

Hi,
I think Kira has never learnt how to sleep except when she is in the motion of a car or rocking and this is her sleep association.

She protests the cot and you might have given in too soon on any efforts to break the habit of rocking to sleep.

It’s not an easy road and you need to be prepared to persist with a settling program for up to 3 weeks if you want to see results.

You can get an overview of our settling program from the <a href=" https://www.huggies.com.au/BeingAParent/YourBab... Baby’s Sleep</a> section of the Huggies site or for more detail, and a visual demonstration, from <a href="It&#39;s time to sleep&lt;/a" />It's Time To Sleep</a> DVD&BOOK.

Best of luck
Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic