Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Going downhill fast! Rss

Hello Maree,

I'm hoping you can help me please. My son is 5 months old & has never been a great sleeper, up until a month ago he'd catnap for approx. 40 mins x 3 a day & at night time he'd go to bed at approx 6.00pm & sleep for 6 hours, waking for 2-3 feeds a night & at 4am was usually wanting to play. I thought that would get better but we seem to have gone severely downhill.

I put Jamie to bed at 6.00pm, he will wake & cry until I put his dummy back in his mouth every hour for approx. the next 3 hours. I then get 1-1 1/2 hour break before I have to feed him again. I put him to bed & he usually sleeps from 11-1.30am, from then on he cries to get up. I put him back to sleep by patting him on the bum or stroking his head & I end up doing this the rest of the night until 6am at least every 20 mins - 1/2 hr. His daytime sleeps have dropped to 20-30mins x 3 a day.

He was teething a month ago, that seems to have stopped, he gets plenty of food (solids 2 per day & 180 mls of milk x 6 bottles) although he has dropped his milk intake & is wanting more solids in the past few days. I also moved him to the cot from bassinet a few weeks ago & he seemed to take the change ok.

I give up, I feel like I have a newborn over again.

I'd love to hear your suggestions.

Thankyou
Kylie

Kylie, NSW mum to Jamie 9/2/04 + Grace 1/2/07

Hi Kylie,

I feel you really need to get some settling techniques happening.
Firstly I would like to see that dummy gone, dummies can be okay sometimes but it would seem that this is a cause for frequent waking and needs to go.

This new routine is going to be a little hard at first, but I can assure you it will be no harder than what you are already doing. Have a read through <a href="http://www.huggies.com/au/pregnancy_parenting/yourbabysleep/">Your Baby’s Sleep</a> and I would highly recommend that you get a copy of It's Time To Sleep DVD&Book
Try the techniques for Newborn to 6 months and give one overnight feed only. at 6 months you can try the rollover feed and break the one overnight feed then. Good luck, if you need support I'm here.
Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic