Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Help Panel (Read Only)
  4. Baby Sleep Expert - Q&As (Read Only)
  5. how do you put a 19 month old baby to sleep in his own bed

how do you put a 19 month old baby to sleep in his own bed Lock Rss

hi when my son was born he didnt like sleeping in his bassinet so i moved him to a cot he didnt like that either and keeped waking up and staying awke for 2 hours straght so i finaly moved him in to my bed so i was able to get some sleep for me it was the only way i could sleep you see he is my first and i didnt know how to do things. Now i would like him to sleep in his own bed on his own i tried for 2 weeks before xmas and he would wake several times during the night at the end of 2 weeks endlesy broken sleep i was exshasted and put him back in my bed where we both slept really well. Now i am frightened to try it again do you think i should leave him in my queen size bed and i sleep in another bed so he has lots of room. I dont know what he would be like with me out of the bed he seems to know when i am not there how do i get him to sleep in his own bed on his own aslo at the moment i have to lie down with him to send him of to sleep. Thanks.

maria,southland 19mth boy

Hi,
Your son doesn’t know how to sleep without you and needs your comfort to return to sleep. To get him to sleep independently means he must fall asleep on his own first and after so long this won’t be easy. It will be up to you to persist with getting him to do this. Make sure that your partner understands what you are doing and supports you during this tricky time.
Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic