Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Teaching baby to put self to sleep Lock Rss

Hi

I have a 6 month old whom goes off to sleep really well by himself in his cot. All I have to do is give him a kiss, say goodnight and tell him that I will seen him soon. He goes off to sleep at about 5-6 pm and then will wake around 9-10 for a feed. he shows the tired signs about 1-1/2 hours later and I put him back to bed with no hassels.
Then he will wake up again a couple of hours later.
I usually put his dummy in (which he often spits out straight away) and he goes off to sleep again and wakes a couple of hours later, which is usually at 630am.

This same routine happens nearly every day and I have followed the settling routines on this website, but still no change.

Thanx for your time
ZacsMum

2 Under 1

Hi Zac’s Mum

Babies learn from repetition and routine, and these times have become his routine. I am wondering how much of the techniques you have implemented. The routine you currently have at going down at 5-6 pm sounds more like the afternoon nap time when he is up again for 1-1/2 hours at 9pm. Are you trying to settle him at this time or just getting him up?

What other naps does Zac have throughout the day? You may need to change these nap times and get him down a little later in the evening, and then when he wakes at 10pm use this as a rollover feed time and use settling techniques to put him back to sleep straight after the feed, rather than getting him up for another 1-1/2 hours. Let me know.

Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Zacs routine

awake 6:30am
bottle 6:45
play
sleep 8:00
awake 9:00am
bottle &
b'fast 9:15
play
sleep 11:30
awake 12:30
bottle &
lunch 12:45pm
play
sleep 2:30
awake 3:30
bottle 3:45pm
play
dinner 5:00
sleep 5:30pm
awake 9:30pm
bottle 9:45pm
play
sleep 11:00pm
awake 3:00am
bottle 3:15
sleep 4:00
awake 6:30am

This routine does sometimes vary a little. Sometime Zac will sleep through from 5/5:30 until about 2/3am, but will wake again at 6:30am

And if we go out shopping he will stay awake about an hour or so longer.

Thanx for your response

ZacsMum

2 Under 1

Hi Zac’s Mum,

Zac is living off a routine of cat naps, and if you seriously want to change this you will have to be persistent. He should be having a morning nap of 2 hours and an afternoon and of 2 hours and trying to encourage a full nights sleep from about 7pm to 6.30am with the help of a 10pm rollover feed. This will be hard no doubt about that.

I strongly suggest you get hold of a copy of “<a href="It's time to sleep</a"http://www.itstimetosleep.com/">It's time to sleep</a>" DVD&Book as you will need to be sure you are doing the settling techniques correctly. I suggest you start stretching the time from 6.30am rising, to a nap at 9.30am – 10am and trying to resettle if it is less than 1 hours sleep. I’d really like to see you get 2 hours from these 2 naps. Have an early lunch and a nap again about 12.30 – 1pm, again trying to resettle using the techniques if his nap is less than 1 hour. Try for dinnertime at about 5pm, then a bath and work towards 6.30 - 7pm sleep. When Zac wakes at 10pm give him a feed and resettle using the techniques, don’t get him up for a play. If he wakes again after 10pm just resettle without the feed and don’t get him up.

If you need support just ask.
Good luck, Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Dear Maree

Thank You so much for the informative reply, I will persist with that routine.

I was just wondering if Zac wakes several times after the 10pm rollover feed, do I keep continuing to resettle him to 630am or after several times of waking offer another feed, (say if it was around the 3am mark).

And obviously I would let him continue sleeping if he sleeps past the 10pm rollover feed or do I wake him for the feed.

Also I have been told that it would be OK to offer him his night feed while he is still in the cot. I thought that he should be taught that the cot is only for sleeping, and not for meal times and play times.
What is your opion on this?

I appreciate the time you have taken to reply to my messages, and am very grateful for the help.

All the best

2 Under 1

During the week Zac has been having nearly 2 hour morning and afternoon naps, and going to bed about 7pm.
A couple of times Zac didn't wake at 10pm and a couple of times he did wake around 10pm, so I fed him and straight back to bed, but he kept waking up at 2am and would not resettle after going in and reasurring/settling him a few times, so I got him up for feeds.

Should I wake him up if he doesn't wake for the 10pm rollover feed or let him sleep and feed him when he wakes?

Thank You very much for your time and advice

All the best

2 Under 1

Hi Zac’s Mum

When starting out with a rollover we wake them at 10pm and give the feed quietly and resettle, then start techniques on the next waking. Try to resettle for one hour then offer water and continue on with the settling.

Yes you are right about feeding is in your arms, and down is where you play, and sleeping is in the cot.

Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Hi Zacs Mum,

I’d suggest you try waking at 10pm for now and see how we go. Offer water only later in the night.

Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic