Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Sleep during the day Lock Rss

Help!

My baby is four weeks old and has trouble sleeping during the day. After I had him I was sick and had to go back to hospital. During this time my mother in law was caring for him and often had him in her arms during the day. He would often fall asleep in her arms and then she would put him down. Sometimes he would sleep for a while but other times he would wake up, cry and she would pick him up and hold him again. He would stop crying when she picked him up and held him. I have since tried to alter this pattern by trying to put him down during the day when he gets irritated and tired. Sometimes he sleeps during the morning, but in the afternoon, he is usually awake the whole time. I'm finding it really hard because basically I have no time to do the things I need to do, like even having a shower or getting dressed, because he will start to cry (and sometimes scream and hold his breath) when I put him down. By the end of the day I feel stressed and drained and only get relief at night when hubby comes home. It's interesting to note that he doesn't have much problem at all sleeping at night and he doesn't have to be held in someone's arms to go to sleep. I have tried numerous things to get him to sleep during the day when he's tired, eg taking him for a walk in the pram to get him to sleep, but none of it really seems to work. I'm also worried that he may not be getting enough sleep if he's mostly sleeping at night. Is this a problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated as I'm willing to try anything to get a bit of peace during the day!

Thanks for your help.

shonny

Hi,
It would seem that some sleep associations have been created but you can’t blame mother in law for trying to do her best you can only start to implement a new routine now you are home.
Try to follow a feed/play/sleep routine, this means feed baby, play and when he shows tired signs wrap him and settle him into his cot using our settling techniques. When he wakes again later if he is due for his feed then feed again play and sleep. This ensures you are acting on tired signs straight away, you know he is not hungry and you are teaching him to sleep independently. An overtired baby is harder to settle
You can get an overview of our settling program from the <a href=" https://www.huggies.com.au/BeingAParent/YourBab... Baby’s Sleep</a> section of the Huggies site or for more detail, and a visual demonstration, from <a href="It&#39;s time to sleep&lt;/a" />It's Time To Sleep</a> DVD&BOOK.

Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic