Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

sleepless breastfed toddler Lock Rss

HELP! I need some sleep.

My 21 month old son is so hooked and dependant on my breasts that he can't sleep for longer than 30 minutes during the day, and wakes up every 2 to 3 hours in the night. I have tried to get him onto formula as well as cows milk (plain & flavoured) but to no avail. He does not use a dummy and cannot get to sleep without being breastfed.

My dilemma is in not knowing how to stop the breastfeeding, and getting him to sleep properly.
I think it is too late for me to wean him off gradually, so I was thinking of doing it cold turkey. What is yout advice? Please help.

Thank you, Nkechi

Nkechi, Sydney 2 year old son

Hi Nkechi,
I try not to get involved in feeding questions but you could try using our settling techniques to teach him to sleep independently. You will no doubt have a battle on your hands and he will fight the techniques but persistence will be the key.
Talk to your health nurse about a good feeding routine for his age (This could still be combined with breast feeding) and use settling techniques when he is tired instead of offering the breast for comfort.
Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic