Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Waking at 4am Rss

Hi
My little boy is 15 weeks old. He is still waking at between 12 and 2am for a feed. He goes straight to sleep after this feed without any settling problems. He has developed a habit recently of waking at 4am each morning. I have been settling him using controlled crying method. He then wakes at 6am but is not hungry and just wants to play around with his bottle.
His feeding pattern is: 6am, 9am, 12pm, 3pm, 6pm, 12-2am (night feed). Do you think his night feed should be cut out so that he is actually hungry at 6am when he wakes? My theory is that he is waking again at 4am because he is going back into his daytime 3 hourly routine, even though he is not really hungry.
Do you have any suggestions as to what I should do.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you
Jennyk

Hi,
You would hope a newborn feeds every 4 hours so 3 hourly is probably more frequent than desired.
I would imagine he is doing a fair bit of comfort feeding.
I would seriously consider trying a feed/play/sleep routine during the day.
By using this method you feed baby, play and then watch for tired signs and knowing baby has had his feed you start settling baby straight away into his cot and use our settling techniques. This means you can persist with trying to settle him knowing that they are tried cries not hunger cries.

I would try to offer one overnight feed and use settling techniques for other wakings.
You can get an overview of our settling program from the <a href=" https://www.huggies.com.au/BeingAParent/YourBab... Baby’s Sleep</a> section of the Huggies site or for more detail, and a visual demonstration, from <a href="It&#39;s time to sleep&lt;/a" />It's Time To Sleep</a> DVD&BOOK.
Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic