Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

1 year old still has bottle to fall asleep Rss

Hi,
My DD has just turned 1 and am in need of some advice. I got into the bad habit of giving her a bottle in her cot and allowing her to fall asleep with it. Now she cries everytime i put her in her cot - wanting her bottle.
I have tried giving her water only, but she just screams the house down. I know it is my fault, but how do i break the habit. I have tried for 3-4 days of letting her cio. but she is soo stubborn. She generally sleeps through the night, but would like to be able to put her in her cot just once without a screaming session.
Any advice would be greatful.
p.s she refuses a dummy as well
Hi there meronr

I had the same problem with my DD (16months) for a long time and had NO idea on how to break the habit. Also my problem was the "associated sleeping" so everytime she woke she needed a bottle to settle (hence she never slept through the night)

So....what I did one night just out of the blue is I gave her , her dinner and then bath (as usual) and then instead of a bottle in bed, I gave her quiet time in front of the telly (something she would like to watch) and turned all the lights off and put her in her chair, and gave her the bottle there....

when she was done, I took her bottle and picked her up gave her a cuddle and kiss said good night and put her in her cot.

She has music constantly in her room and a night light so they were already on and lights off.

Guess what - First try and first night - she went to sleep with no tantrums or crying just went to sleep and I have had little trouble since...she only wakes now at 4:30 am for a nappy change.

I hope i haven't jinxd myself but it is working so worth sharing.

Hope I have helped

Let me know
Cheers!
Olivia
Haleys_Mum

eìí? DD Haley 2 yrs old eìí?

Hi
Sometimes it takes up to a couple of weeks to break a habit but often only a week or so.
try using our settling techniques instead of the bottle as they are better than cio. They offer a clear and repetitive message that it’s time to sleep.
You can get an overview of our settling program from the <a href=" https://www.huggies.com.au/BeingAParent/YourBab... Baby’s Sleep</a> section of the Huggies site or for more detail, and a visual demonstration, from <a href="It&#39;s time to sleep&lt;/a" />It's Time To Sleep</a> DVD&BOOK.

Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic