Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Help Panel (Read Only)
  4. Baby Sleep Expert - Q&As (Read Only)
  5. help, 20 month old ds, fantatstic sleeper gone bad overnight

help, 20 month old ds, fantatstic sleeper gone bad overnight Lock Rss

Please help. My 20 month old son use to sleep perfectly and has changed overnight just recently. He gos to bed at 7 to 7.30pm and sleeps through till 7am. He has one sleep at 12pm for about 2 hours through the day. He gets put in his sleeping bag and sung a song to and then placed in bed for his day sleep and usually would put himself to sleep within 10 to 20 mins no trouble. At night he has dinner, bath, milk, bum change and story then into his sleeping bag for a song and off to sleep normally on his own with no hassle.

Overnight he has changed however (for both day/night sleeps) and he just screams when he sees us leave the room un til we come back in to give him a cuddle. Sometimes it is so bad he wont even let us lay him back in bed. He has to go to sleep in my arms. Sometimes we can get away with sitting in the chair in his room pretending we r asleep and sneek out when he nods off. My DH had to sleep on the floor next to him last night because after an hour he still had not gone to sleep and every time he snuck out ds would notice him gone and start screaming. DH said he could see DS watching and checking if he was still there periodically.

Don' know what to do. I don't think its teeth cause he is just as happy as normal through the day, he's not sick. Not sure if something has scared him or he is just having an attachment issue at the moment.

Started controlled crying the other night and after 1 hour was still hysterical so had to let him go to sleep in my arms.

Any suggestions?

Please help. My 20 month old son use to sleep perfectly and has changed overnight just recently. He gos to bed at 7 to 7.30pm and sleeps through till 7am. He has one sleep at 12pm for about 2 hours through the day. He gets put in his sleeping bag and sung a song to and then placed in bed for his day sleep and usually would put himself to sleep within 10 to 20 mins no trouble. At night he has dinner, bath, milk, bum change and story then into his sleeping bag for a song and off to sleep normally on his own with no hassle.

Overnight he has changed however (for both day/night sleeps) and he just screams when he sees us leave the room un til we come back in to give him a cuddle. Sometimes it is so bad he wont even let us lay him back in bed. He has to go to sleep in my arms. Sometimes we can get away with sitting in the chair in his room pretending we r asleep and sneek out when he nods off. My DH had to sleep on the floor next to him last night because after an hour he still had not gone to sleep and every time he snuck out ds would notice him gone and start screaming. DH said he could see DS watching and checking if he was still there periodically.

Don' know what to do. I don't think its teeth cause he is just as happy as normal through the day, he's not sick. Not sure if something has scared him or he is just having an attachment issue at the moment.

Started controlled crying the other night and after 1 hour was still hysterical so had to let him go to sleep in my arms.

Any suggestions?

I feel your pain, my son did pretty much the same thing, it's sooo hard, maybe leave it and extra half hour to put him to bed? or can you shorten the day sleep... sounds like you're are trying everything possible to make him comfy and ready for bed so maybe he is just going through a clingy stage. Does he go to daycare of any sort or get looked after by a relative? If so does he do the same there?? Sorry i'm not much more of a help

hi there, my daughter did the same thing about 3months ago when she was about 19mths, but she was also waking in the night screaming, so i started to go in just before she usually woke and watched, she seemed to be having a bad dream, after a few weeks of no sleep for me and her i took her to a natropath and after one dose (yes one little magic drop) she slept that night and every other night since from 7-7.30 till 7-8 in the morning. natropath said it was night terrors and that she freaked so much night she was scared to go to bed after that. she no longer has a sleep during the day although she can have a 10min cat nap about 3pm. hope this helps, dont just try to battle through there could be heaps of reasons it started so quick, bad dream, night terrors, teething, not quite tired etc

/ur

Thanks Mama sara and shell for your advice.

I actually think myself it has to be either scared/night terrors or an attachment thing myself too, but its hard to know. He does also wake through the night crying whch is why my dh had to sleep on the floor.

He does get looked after 2 nights a fortnight by his grandparents and has had one of them put him down for his day sleep. She had to sit on the chair and pretend to sleep also.
Sign in to follow this topic