Huggies Forum

What am I doing wrong? Day sleeps. Rss

I desperately need help. My son is 7.5 months and he sleeps well at night. We have always done Feed, Play, Sleep. He can self settle at night and usually for his morning nap too. He has never been a good day sleeper but for a few weeks at 6 months of age was having two decent naps. Now however he is back to 30 minute naps and he wakes crying and rubbing his eyes. I have tried everything to resettle. Patting seems to really get him worked up. Going in and out of his room did not help, just distracted him more. I have let him cry too, he just cried the whole hour or more and then if he did fall asleep it would be for only ten minutes. I tried each method for a week at least.

I have been to sleep school and they were not able to resettle him either. By afternoon he is so overtired he will not even settle at all some days so has only 2-30 minutes sleep all day. The only way I can get a nap then is in the pram or car but I cannot transfer him.

He is not teething yet nor crawling. I put him down for naps at about 9am and 1pm according to tired signs. He really seems to want to sleep but he cannot 'switch off' although he tries all his self settling techniques. I have the room very dark, quiet, white noise on etc. No distractions in his cot. He sometimes uses a dummy but does not always need it.

I don't mind if he's awake a lot but he is clearly not happy with these short naps. I have read Weissbluth's book and others. No one has been able to help so far. I would appreciate any input you can give.

Thanks.

Kate, NSW

Hi,
You need to follow a proven program carefully and for up to 3 weeks.
Trying lots of things only sends mixed messages and one method with persistence will be the best way.
If you are in Melbourne I can put you in contact with someone for some one on one assistance
If not I can only suggest that you get a copy of <a href="It's time to sleep</a"http://www.itstimetosleep.com/">It's Time To Sleep</a> DVD&BOOK and follow the program precisely.
Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic