Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Help Panel (Read Only)
  4. Baby Sleep Expert - Q&As (Read Only)
  5. Early waking after controlled crying technique

Early waking after controlled crying technique Lock Rss

I have recently started the technique of controlled crying to take away my 10 month old son's need for his dummy. He was waking 3-4 times a night and crying as he had thrown the dummy out of the cot. We have had some success. No dummy for 3 days!

I put him to bed at 7pm, he has a cry and is asleep by 7.30pm at the latest. He sleeps through but is now waking at 4.30am! I give him his bottle and he then sleeps approx 2 hours. He is the up for 2 hours has a play and breakfast and then sleeps approx 1 hour. He may have 1 or 2 one hour sleeps in the afternoon, depending where we are and if he is in daycare. Before I began the controlled crying technique he was having 2 two hour sleeps a day.

How do I stop him from waking so early? Will he start having longer sleeps in the day again?

Ronda
Hi Ronda,

I would suggest that you try a rollover feed at 10pm and settle using our techniques for 6 to 12 months at 4.30am. Are you following the It’s Time To Sleep controlled comforting program or a different method? You need to follow the techniques for all sleeps not just at night.

Let me know
Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Hi Maree,

I had been following the technique in Robin Barker's book 'Baby Love'. However I have seen your technique when I borrowed the video from my Maternal and Child Health Nurse when Zacari was 8 weeks old. I found your technique successful then.

One question though, Zacari is down to 3 feeds a day? Are you suggesting that I should give him an extra feed, and that he may be waking as he is hungry?

I will purchase a copy of your book & DVD and have a go.

Ronda
Hi Ronda,

At 10 months your son should be able to sleep through from 7pm to 7am without a feed. The rollover feed is really more to give you confidence that he is not hungry at 4.30am and to resettle straight away using our techniques without that 4.30am bottle. If you are confident that he is getting enough to eat during the day then by all means try the techniques without the 10pm rollover feed.

Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Hi Maree,

I purchased the DVD and book and have had success from following your technique! He is now waking at 6.15am, which works well as he needs to wake so that we can get ready for work/daycare. We have not found it necessary to use the rollover feed.

Thanks for the great work on the video and the book is a beneficial tool in assisting your techniques. It is also great that you are available to answer some of the questions that occur whilst following the techniques.

regards,
Ronda
Hi Ronda,

A pleasure! You have done well.

Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic