Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Getting baby to sleep without being swaddled Rss

Hi there

William is nearly 5 mths old and he still needs to be swaddled to sleep during the day. At night, he does not get swaddled and sleeps through etc.

Once I see the tired signs - for him it's rubbing the eyes and getting grizzly, I then take him straight to bed. I swaddle him with his hands beside his head (due to him being so talented and rolling over!!) and place the dummy in his mouth and then he falls alseep on his own about 10 mins later. Another reason I put his hands beside his head is that he loves to take the dummy out of his mouth with his hands, play with it, then he usally drops it, can't retrieve it and then gets cranky and I then have to go in and put the dummy in again (this usually occurs about 2 - 4 times each sleep cycle). He loves eating his hands but him sucking his thumb also doesn't get him to sleep.

I don't want to swaddle him anymore as he is getting more active in his cot and I am concerned that swaddling him is dangerous due to his activity. I have tried to loosen the blanket once asleep but he wakes up mid sleep and is furious. I have also tried not to swaddle at all and he will not go to sleep for a million $$ that I always promise him with when I'm trying to calm him down and get him to sleep without the blanket being swaddled.

I don't understand why he sleeps during the night without swaddling but not during the day???

Very confused
Thanks

Amanda, Qld

Hi,
After 3months we do not recommend wrapping so you are right to try and stop.

If you could persist with using some settling techniques to settle him and teach him to sleep without the wrap then this may help you.

You can get an overview of our settling program from the <a href=" https://www.huggies.com.au/BeingAParent/YourBab... Baby’s Sleep</a> section of the Huggies site or for more detail, and a visual demonstration, from <a href="It&#39;s time to sleep&lt;/a" />It's Time To Sleep</a> DVD&BOOK.

Try to use the same cues for going to bed during the day as you do at night. Perhaps that will make it easier for him to realise what is going to happen.

Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic