Huggies Forum

baby wont settle Lock Rss

hayden is almost 12 weeks old and is now awake almost all day every day, but when he is awake during the day, all he does is cry, even when there is nothing wrong with him. and anything i do, doesnt seem to settle him. i dont know what to do. the more he cries, the more i get frustrated. if u have any tips that might help, i would really appreciate it. thanx.

elyse

elyse, vic, hayden

Hi,
Try following a feed/play/sleep routine and when he displays tired signs begin settling him.

He is way over tired which is why you are struggling so much during the day with the crying. Your baby needs to sleep during the day.

You can get an overview of our settling program from the <a href=" https://www.huggies.com.au/BeingAParent/YourBab... Baby’s Sleep</a> section of the Huggies site or for more detail, and a visual demonstration, from <a href="It&#39;s time to sleep&lt;/a" />It's Time To Sleep</a> DVD&BOOK.

Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Hi Elyse
I don't have any real tips for you but my 12 week old is the same. I try to do the feed/play/sleep routine - sometimes it works other times he just gets too worked up to settle for a nap - even if I catch him when he first looks tired. Have you tried a sling/carrier? I find that's pretty effective in getting him to calm down and he'll always sleep if I'm moving around with him in there.
Good luck.

Nicole, Qld - Jacob 27/2/06

My boy Hunter has a similar problem except he would have a series of cat-naps lasting around 30-40 mins a time which is not long enough. Finally, out community health nurse gave us some tips and gave us a home visit to guide us one afternoon. The results were almost instant (very positive!) so I suggest utilising the skills and resources of your local community centre. Failing that, this is what helped us:
1. If you have a monitor, don't use it. Get rid of it or only use it when absolutely necessary (if you'll be in the garden etc.)
2. Observe tired signs and begin a routine for preparing for bed before he gets too/over tired. We stopped wrapping/swaddling him at 8 weeks but if you still do so, start with that and give him a few minutes cuddle/quiet but don't let him fall asleep in your arms. It's important to not stimulate him when preparing for bed which means no or very limited eye contact , no talking except for low-level 'ssh' and no smiling from when you see him getting tired.
(if you're not sure what his tired signs are, put him on his mat and observe from a distance as he won't want you to see him getting tired. Watch for frowning, yawning, eye-rubbing, jerky movements, fist/thumb sucking, head moving side to side etc.)
3. Put him in the cot awake with no eye contact, comfort him and leave the room if quiet. If he's crying, you have to wait until the crying gets to the medium/high level then time 20 minutes before you go to him. This is to allow him so learn how to settle himself. You'll notice different cries.
Follow Karitane or Huggies guidelines on how to settle (on side, patting nappy etc.)
4. I found a radio on low background noise or a fan helped. Even a tv in the background gives them a consistant sound to listen to.
He needs at least an hours sleep each time. If he wakes befoer then, don't react immediatly but allow his cry to intensify before attending to him as he may resettle himself.try to resettle for however long you can manage (i gave him 20 minutes)but if he doesn't, put him in the pram, in the car or on your chest and continue quiet time until and hour is up.

we saw results within a few days and now Hunter is sleeping through the night (from 6.30pm to 6.30am!) and having 2-3 really good sleeps...I even have to wake him sometimes and he is so much more of a joy. Not to mention I'm more relaxed!!!

Good luck. Sorry if it's a lot of info but it should work if you stick with it!

Marianne wink

northern nsw, Hunter born 22/2/06

Sign in to follow this topic