Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Putting child in own bed for sleep Rss

Hi Maree,
I am hoping to get a bit of advice from you and what steps to take to get my daughter to sleep in her own bed. Here is my story.
Gemma was a good sleeper in her cot up to about 1 year old. Then she started waking at about2 - 3 in the morning, not going back to sleep until I went to her room and shushed her. At about 15 months she was quite sick, so she came in the bed with us. I know this was a big mistake. Ever since then she did not go back into her cot. I would try, but she would scream as we walked to the room and go stiff as a board. I would put her in and go and she would be sick.
She is now 22 months old, She has a big girls bed now. She will not go to sleep unless I lay down beside her till she falls asleep. If I leave the room, she gets up too. If I close the door she screams at it till I let her out. I left her for 3 minutes one time and she got so upset in that time she threw up. I cleaned her up, layed down with her and she was so upset that she threw up again. Now, when she does go to sleep in her bed (after I have layed there long enough) she wakes 2 - 3 times through the night until I eventually get sick of going to her and either lay in her bed with her or bring her into mine. Usually the 3rd time when body and mind are on auto pilot at 3am!
Maree, I want to fall pregnant and have another baby, but I dont want to be up and down all night with my beautiful yet trying daughter during my pregnancy and so forth. I want to be able to go to bed when I want, not at 7.30 every night!
What processes can I go through to try and get Gemma to happily go to bed by herself.
We have a fairly good routine - tea at 6, bath by 7, a little bit of play and into bed no later than 8, usually around 7.30, give or take 10 minutes, depending how long tea takes.
Is there a book or program that you can suggest I can get from the library or buy? Or can you help me out here!
Thanks in advance,
Tanya

DD1 July 2004 DD2 August 2007 DS September 2009

bump!

DD1 July 2004 DD2 August 2007 DS September 2009

Sign in to follow this topic