Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Help Panel (Read Only)
  4. Baby Sleep Expert - Q&As (Read Only)
  5. Problems settling into bed after move from cot & joining child care

Problems settling into bed after move from cot & joining child care Rss

My 20 Month old daughter has always been a really good sleeper, until recently. She joined child care & after 4 days of going is now refusing to sleep by herself, to the point that she climbed out of the cot, so we have now moved her to a bed, which is even worse, as we cannot keep her there & the only way to get her to sleep is to sit with her till she falls asleep, but she wakes several times a night & each time we have to sit with her for an hour to get her to sleep. Please help!!!!! Desperate & Tired!!!!

P.S We have taken her out of child care.

Michelle, NSW

Hi Michelle,

You are wise to nip this in the bud and take some action early. By sitting with your daughter until she falls asleep you are causing a sleep association and if you are gone when she wakes she needs you there to resettle.

You can stay with her for a while but say good
night and ‘It’s time to sleep’ before she falls asleep. When she wakes later just keep putting her back and repeat that ‘It’s time to sleep’ you may have to do this many, many times in a night, be prepared for that, but put her back quickly and don’t stay.

Good luck, Maree

It's Time to Sleep

I have been putting her back in the bed, I have had to tell her that I will close her door if she gets out of bed, as she is refusing to stay in bed at all. But being patient & talking to her every 10 mins has helped, the first night we had to go to her 3 times & she woke again 2 times that night & each night she has been better & better. She has stopped waking in the middle of the night & tonight went to bed with minimal fuss. So I am glad I didn't continue sitting with her, as it seemed to be getting worse than better. Thanks for your help, I am getting much more sleep now.

Michelle, NSW

Hi Michelle,

A pleasure, keep up the good work!

Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic