Huggies Forum

Waking too early, and a catnapper. Rss

My 10 1/2 month old son is quite a good night time sleeper but for the past few weeks he has been waking up early (around 4am). He is in bed by 6pm, usually asleep by 6.30pm. He was sleeping 12 hours at night but I think it is now changing to 10 hours. I have tried pushing back bedtime to after 7 but due to the fact that more than half the time he will only have say an hour sleep in the morning, and 40mins-1 hr in the afternoon, he gets quite cranky and overtired by 5.30-6pm making it more and more difficult to get him to put himself to sleep. Is there a technique i can try to get him to sleep longer during the day? He seems to wake up if he hears a lound noise or people talking..even from the street. He is a very alert and wants to know everything bubs!
Hi,

What do you do when he wakes at 4am?
Let me know and we can work forward from there.

Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

When he was waking up at 4 am, I would try and calm him down, walk out of the room, he would then start crying, after a few minutes walk back in, rock him till he was calm, put him down, walk out, he would then cry again, i would let it go for longer then go in again....keep doing this for up to an hour, then give up by 5 am bring him in our bed, where he would either end up sleeping for 20-30 mins or just play depending on the day. For the past week he has been sleeping till 5 am (seems to wake because its light and birds singing etc), but he still is exhausted by 6pm...and has one hour nap in the morning around 8am...then wants to go down for a sleep at about 11.30am but when i let him do this, he wont have an afternoon sleep, so he's exhausted by dinnertime. Do you think i should keep him up till 1pm or so for his afternoon nap? He has always been a terrible day sleeper.
Hi,

I think you would benefit from using the It’s Time To Sleep settling techniques, they are repetitive and give a clear message that it’s time to sleep.

Mixed messages confuse baby and you will get results from following the program. It is important to watch for tired signs and act on them, an over tired baby is harder to settle

Good luck, Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic