Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Help Panel (Read Only)
  4. Baby Sleep Expert - Q&As (Read Only)
  5. Sleeping during the day and not during the night

Sleeping during the day and not during the night Lock Rss

Hi jennie here, i'm writing hoping to recieve some advise about my 5 week old baby whom sleeps most of the day, then decides to be awake during the night. I find it hard to keep him from falling asleep and even harder to wake him once he's asleep. He'll normally have a couple of awake hours in the morning and then again late afternoon, during this time my husband and i try to stimulate him to help him stay awake, he'll then sleep most of the evening and have another couple of awake hours in the middle of the night. We've tried getting him into a night time routine of bathing him around 8pm and then giving him a feed. This has worked on occations and he has had some good nights of sleeping for 4 hours, but i think he's still having trouble working out the difference between night and day. Do you have any tips on making this easier?

baby boy

Dear Jett

We would like to let you know that Maree, our Sleep consultant, will be unable to respond to your questions from the 13-25th May as she is away on a much needed holiday.

If you require more immediate advice regarding your baby's sleep we suggest that you contact your local Child Health Nurse.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards
Maree and the Huggies Parents Exchange Team
Hi,
Firstly, I would like to extend an apology to you for the delay in responding to your query.
I would strongly recommend that you follow a feed/ play/ sleep routine.

With f/p/s you are feeding baby when he wakes (or when due) Then you play with baby and watch for tired signs. Grumpy, yawning, rubbing eyes, not happy generally and then you wrap him and settle him straight away into his cot using settling techniques if necessary. This way you know he has had a feed and it is a tired cry.
In your case when you know he is due for a feed wake him and feed him and do all you can to keep him awake for at least an hour or
You can get an overview of our settling program from the <a href=" https://www.huggies.com.au/BeingAParent/YourBab... Baby’s Sleep</a> section of the Huggies site or for more detail, and a visual demonstration, from <a href="It&#39;s time to sleep&lt;/a" />It's Time To Sleep</a> DVD&BOOK.
Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic