Huggies Forum

Tired bub Rss

I have a 10 month old who whinges when he gets tired - he goes to bed at 6-6.30pm (can't get him to stay up any longer) and then he wakes around 4am but resettles with the dummy. He then wakes up for good around 5.30am - is there any way we can get him to sleep longer as we are exhausted. Also he goes back for his first sleep at 8.30am for about an hour and then again at 12.30 for another hour - both times I can't get him to stay up any longer as he whinges - what can I do to get him to sleep longer during the day and therefore go to bed later and hopefully wake later in the morning? He would actually go to bed at 5pm as he's that tired. Please help! We're desperate!!
Hi,

When you put him down for his nap, how do you get him off to sleep?
Let me know

Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

I give him a dummy and walk out of the room, most of the time he just goes off to sleep, sometimes he requires the occasional 're-dummying' but he's good at putting himself to sleep the majority of the time.
Hi,

It would seem that he knows how to fall asleep okay, I’m wondering if the dummy is a problem.

You like to think about getting rid of it in case the loss of the dummy is causing him to wake?

Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Hi Maree,

It's not the dummy as he spits it out after he falls asleep and if he stirs in the night/day he can settle himself. It's the early morning he wakes that he re-settles with the dummy and the second time he wakes that he won't go back to sleep.
To get him to sleep longer during the day and therefore go to bed a bit later, you will need to watch carefully for tired signs and act on them straight away (an overtired baby is harder to settle) using the settling techniques in <a href="http://www.huggies.com/au/pregnancy_parenting/yourbabysleep/">Your Baby’s Sleep</a> section if you need to. Don’t leave the nap too late in the afternoon or you will find that he ends up going to bed too late and that’s not good either.

Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Wow, he sounds so much like my 10 month old son!! except Cameron doesnt have a dummy anymore. I cant offer any suggestions....i'm still trying to get him to sleep longer in the morning and trying to keep him up till 6.30pm but give up because he's so tired by 6. He seems to have the same routine as your son. All I am trying to do at the moment, is push his arvo sleep till 1.30pm, that way he has an hour or so and wakes up by 2.30 - 3 if i'm lucky....which then leaves only 3 hours till bedtime...but i'm still working on it. Just letting you know you are not alone!
Sign in to follow this topic