Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Help Panel (Read Only)
  4. Baby Sleep Expert - Q&As (Read Only)
  5. 2 years old still not sleeping through the night

2 years old still not sleeping through the night Rss

Hello, my son just turned 2 and I'm still having problems.
He wakes up at 9am, midday nap at 1pm, sleep time at 9pm. So far this routine has been great. The problem is everytime I put him down in his bed he needs me to lie with him for 1 hour (sometimes less) until he is sleeping. I'm the only one that can do it. He needs to feel my hair to sleep.

Also at night he is waking up at midnight and if I'm not in bed I have to lie with him until he falls asleep again and this will continue on till I'm ready to go to bed. I have tried leaving him in there by himself but he just cries and cries until he starts coughing then vomits.

When I go to bed I usually just put him in the middle of us so we all can get some sleep.

Please help me

NSW

Hi Mirian,

Your son simply does not know how to sleep without you. When you lay with him until he falls asleep he wakes on his light sleep as we all do but he doesn’t know how to resettle without you to comfort him. It won’t change unless you make a change and that means teaching him to sleep independently, and yes it will mean some crying, no probably lots of crying, The vomiting is a power play to get your attention and it works.

I suggest that you get a copy of <a href="It's time to sleep</a"http://www.itstimetosleep.com/">It's Time To Sleep</a> DVD& Book to help you to understand about sleep associations and why you need to make some changes. You would ALL benefit for it.

Good luck, Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic