Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Help Panel (Read Only)
  4. Baby Sleep Expert - Q&As (Read Only)
  5. 11 months, waking at 4:30 am, and taking 1.5 hours to settle

11 months, waking at 4:30 am, and taking 1.5 hours to settle Lock Rss

My daughter is 11 months. She has never been a very good sleeper, most nights now she sleeps until at least 4:30, and takes ages to settle.

On the weekend she had vomitting and diarhoa (sp?) so I was just feeding her breastmilk. I have started the early feeds again, because she wasn't eating solids so just thought she was hungry. Now the past 2 mornings she has been waking at 4:30, so I feed her (because even though she is back on solids for some silly reason she is not really eating dinner) and it still takes me forever to settle her.

this morning she decided that she wouldn't go to sleep, she wouldn't cry (so I couldn't do controlled crying) I ended up patting her, and it still took me ages to settle her. She wasn't cold either.

She has done this before, it is a regular pattern of hers to wake at this time, but it doesn't always take this long to settle her.

Sometimes she wakes at 5:30 for the day. (lol, it takes me ages to settle her, so I kind of give up after an hour) I end up sticking her in the portacot out in the loungeroom with some music and heaps of toys lol. We also have a 4 year old who gets up around 7am, (sometimes later which is nice when he does that) so I want to get back into bed for a bit more rest before he gets up.

I need some ideas to help her settle.

Most nights I consider myself lucky to get 6 hours straight sleep but would love to be getting more than that.
wow, 6 hrs sleep sounds excellent! my 11mth old still feeds a coupla times a night.
thhose early mornings are yuccko, especially when it's cold. i hate getting up in the cold.

babies seem to change all the time, being sick can really throw out a good routine, hopefully as her gut gets better she will be eating her solids again (isn't it great to know she was still getting plenty of nourishmetn from your breastmilk) and you may find her pattern just adjusts. it can take some time after illness for them to get back to what they were used to i think.

the porta cot plan sounds good for getting a bit more rest yourself. if you think it would help, maybe you could adjust her bedtime? it may not work for everyone but my LO gets up earlier if she has had an early bedtime. i don't find her behaviour affected too much from keeping her up, but it may or may not suit you. if she is not crying but not asleep will she just lie/play happily in her cot until you get up?
if you are happy feeding her and she just feeds back to sleep, that could work too.
some babies just do seem to be early risers sometimes it can help to embrace this and enfoy the dawn, some of my treasured memories are of breastfeeding my precious 1st bub and watching the sun rise, beautiful.
you are not alone smile happy mothering.

mum of 3 girls

Hi ,
I would really think about not giving her this 4.30 feed as it could also by why she is not as hungry during the day.
Follow our settling techniques and even if she is not crying after 10mins go in and butt in on her play time and let her know it’s time to sleep.
You can get an overview of our settling program from the <a href=" https://www.huggies.com.au/BeingAParent/YourBab... Baby’s Sleep</a> section of the Huggies site or for more detail, and a visual demonstration, from <a href="It&#39;s time to sleep&lt;/a" />It's Time To Sleep</a> DVD&BOOK.

Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic