Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

doing away with the dummy Lock Rss

This is my fourth child, but first to use a dummy. Our boy is four months old and has had the dummy for about three months. I first started to use it to help settle him, which I really needed so I could get on with what the other three needed. But now he has cried out a couple of times at night, and if you give him the dummy he goes back fine. I'm not sure if this is a thing I want to start, but I also appreciate the time a dummy buys me! Is it just par for the course that babies with dummies wake through the night wanting you to put them back in, or could it just be a phase? Also, during the day I sometimes have to control cry him to have a nap, he is even crying with the dummy in his mouth, and eventually settles, albeit with the dummy. Does that count as self settling? Is it possible for me to just go cold turkey and take the dummy away all together at this young age?
Hi,
Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding to your query.

The use of a dummy is a parents choice and yes it does buy time, but it can also become the cause of frequent waking.

If you want to still use the dummy it is best to remove it just before sleep comes so it’s not the last thing he remembers before falling asleep.

Try our settling techniques and a feed play sleep routine, this could be very helpful to you.
You can get an overview of our settling program from the <a href=" https://www.huggies.com.au/BeingAParent/YourBab... Baby’s Sleep</a> section of the Huggies site or for more detail, and a visual demonstration, from <a href="It&#39;s time to sleep&lt;/a" />It's Time To Sleep</a> DVD&BOOK.
Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic