Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Help Panel (Read Only)
  4. Baby Sleep Expert - Q&As (Read Only)
  5. 13 month old screaming when put to bed at night

13 month old screaming when put to bed at night Lock Rss

Hi there,
I hope you can help - my little girl is now 13 months old and u until about 5 weeks ago she used to go down at night an absoloute dream. We have our night time ritual of bath then quiet books, warm milk then to the nursery and kisses goodnight and bed and I would just be able to walk out with her smiling at me and she'd put herself to sleep. Now its the opposite, same ritual but instead she stands up as soon as I make a move to leave the room and screams at me hysterically constantly. We are trying controlled comforting/crying - but its so stressful for all of us and it doesn't seem to be working too well - I'm not seeing any improvement - its the same story every night. She does sleep through in general but has been waking during the night every couple of nights which is really weird for her. I don't think she is teething at the moment and she's not sick - any ideas what we can do to make this a nicer time for all of us? Thanks heaps!

Louise, Daughter Jessica 21-04-05

Hi,
I’m sorry for the delay in responding to your question.

How are you settling her if cc is not working for you? If you are comforting her to sleep now then this may be the reason she is waking again through the night sometimes.

Controlled comforting is never easy and ALL babies protest it and ALL mums hate doing it but if you can persist it has a very good chance of working.

You can get an overview of our settling program from the <a href=" https://www.huggies.com.au/BeingAParent/YourBab... Baby’s Sleep</a> section of the Huggies site or for more detail, and a visual demonstration, from <a href="It&#39;s time to sleep&lt;/a" />It's Time To Sleep</a> DVD&BOOK.

Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Hi Louise,

What worked for my kids was to put them to bed as you are doing and telling her to lie in bed and mummy will check on you in 2 minutes, then leave the room. Then wait maybe 20 seconds and pop your head in so she can see you and tell her that you will check her again in 2 minutes. Keep checking until she seems relaxed and then you can spread the checking out for 2 minutes until she is asleep. It may take you one hour or so the first night but if you do it every night the time it takes for her to fall asleep will lesson to mabye checking once or twice.
Hope this helps

Julie

Julie, WA 5yr,3yr & newborn

Sign in to follow this topic