Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Climbed out of cot, now scared to sleep Lock Rss

Hi Marie

We have a 28 month old who early last week climbed out of her cot and in doing so broke her arm... she's been put in plaster almost to her shoulder and seems to be coping ok with that. Our problem is that she is now petrified of sleeping by herself... Obviously the cot is not an option, but we had been transitioning her to a bed which she now won't go near without screaming either. Also she can reach the door handle and let herself out of her room. I'm concerned about letting her get too upset while she has her arm in the cast. At the moment she is sleeping with us but I understand that getting her out of this sooner rather than later will be easier in the long run... just not sure how to do it with her injury and resultant intense fear.

Thanks

KellyB

Kelly, QLD, 28mth Kate

I'm not sure if this will help or not but I seen on Super nanny that sitting by their bed until they fall asleep reasures them. And each night it will take less time for them to settle. Once they get the hang of it you move a little further away from the bed until you can sit at the door and then eventually not in their room at all. I try it when Mr 10 mth old is up set and it works. You don't have to touch them but them seeing you there is comforting. Hope it helps!

Sarah

Hi Kelly,
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to your query.

What an ordeal for you I hope your daughter is coping okay and you also.

Don’t push things at the moment. Try to make a big deal about about how good it will be when she has her own bed and hopefully she will want to make the change too.

Teach her how to climb in and out of her new "big bed" by herself during the day and if possible you could place her old cott mattress by the side of her bed to reassure her that she won't hurt herself if she rolls onto this during the night.

I hope all goes well for you.

Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic