Huggies Forum

newborn waking during day sleep Lock Rss

Hi

My daughter is 8 weeks old and is sleeping really well at night. During the day I can put her down for a sleep and she'll go off within about 5 mins. However, after approximately 30 - 45 mins she will wake up crying. I usually leave her for a couple of minutes and she'll either go back to sleep or keep crying until i go in and get her up. I've tried resettling her but it just doesn't work. I'm baffled as to why this is happening and if there is anything i can do to help her sleep better. I've heard that newborn sleep is different to ours - could this have anything to do with it?

Thanks kindly
Alison

Alison, Vic, Abby 2.5 yrs, Poppy 5 mths

My daughter did the exact same thing and after 3 days of it she would then go back into her old routine of longer day sleeps. But it would then happen again after a few weeks. I tried rocking the cot when she started stirring and sometimes it worked and she would sleep for another hour - I also tried the vacuum cleaner (turn it on at about 35 mins and leave it on for about 20 - 30 mins - this worked sometimes too, put the vacuum cleaner away from the room so she can only hear a hum). By the time she got to 5 months she would only sleep 3 x 45 min sleeps all the time (but slept through the night), I went out of my mind trying to figure out why she did this but in the end she has now sorted out a routine for herself. We still get a 45 min nap in the morning but her afternoon sleeps are 1 - 2 hrs long. I read somewhere that baby's sleep cycles are shorter than ours so they go off to sleep and go into a really deep sleep and then at the 40 - 45 min mark they go into a lighter sleep and thats when they can stir. I can only suggest you try what I tried but at the end of the day she will finally sort her day sleeps out by hopefully 6 months.

Kirstie, Lower Hutt, Lexie 7 mths old

Hi Alison,
Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding to your question.
She is waking after her first sleep cycle and catnapping.
Try wrapping her and resettle using our patting method without picking her up.
You can try for up to 15 mins and if no luck get her up and try again later
You can get an overview of our settling program from the <a href=" https://www.huggies.com.au/BeingAParent/YourBab... Baby’s Sleep</a> section of the Huggies site or for more detail, and a visual demonstration, from <a href="It&#39;s time to sleep&lt;/a" />It's Time To Sleep</a> DVD&BOOK.
Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic