Huggies Forum

3yr old terrified to go to sleep ..... Lock Rss

Hi Maree! This isn't quite a baby sleep problem but I'm really hoping you may be able to help as I'm having no luck finding any other advice about it.

About a month or so ago, our 3yr old daughter all of a sudden was terrified to go to bed & I mean hysterical! She was certain that there was somthing outside looknig at her that was going to come & get her. We started the "supernanny" technique of just putting her back in bed everytime she came out but this was going on for hours & she would just get more anxious & the situation was esculated x 10. She settled for having one of us sit on a chair outside her room until she went to sleep, but if she woke & we weren't there ... it would start all over again. As well as this, she also comes into our bed at night & we try to put her back in her bed as soon as she comes in, but when we do ... yep, we go through the whole routine again of her screaming that she's scared & having to wait outside her door til she goes back to sleep. This can happen up to 5-6 times a night.

We have recently had a new addition to our family 4 months ago, which is what I'm relating it to ... fighting for attention & all that but I'm just at a loss as to how to resolve it.

She used to be such a "miss independant" & now won't go anywhere by herself or won't let me leave the room without her following & pretty much the only words she says all day are "it's too scary" or "I'm scared".

Please Help as I would really like some sleep sometime in the next 5 years! :~

Thanks!

Jaida (6), Ameli (2) & Lacey (2mths) - SA

Hi,
I’m sorry for the delay in responding to your question about your baby’s sleep.
I do believe she is looking for the attention with the new addition in the house.
I would take her shopping, just the two of you, buy her something she really wants and she can have it so long as she stays in bed, but if she gets up you must take it away. Bribery can work wonders!
I hope this helps
Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic