Huggies Forum

Big bed blues Lock Rss

Hi Maree

I've been reading through the posts here and I can't quite find the answer I need.

We moved our little girl (22 mths) to a big bed about three weeks ago. The first two nights were fine - she slept as she normally does and went to sleep as she normally does (by herself).

Then things started to change. At first, she was going to sleep by herself and coming in to our room once a night - and I would just get up and pop her back into bed.

No problems.

But its gotten ridiculously worse to the point now where I am up six or seven times a night to take her back to her own bed and she won't go to sleep by herself any more.

I have tried a technique in my sleep bible where you pop them into bed and tell them if they get up you'll have to close the door (for prescribed time). I've done this technique several times without any form of success - just a child that bangs on the door (for prescribed time). I always end up reading her to sleep or something like that.

I do like you said and everytime she comes in I take her straight back to her bed and put her in it. No fuss because she's usually 95% asleep - but I'm still getting up and I'm very tired.

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

Hannah (3 yrs) and Harry's (born 22/7) Mum! QLD

Hi,

You are doing the right thing by taking her straight back to bed back I think she may know that if she goes long enough you will give in to the story or other comfort.
You need to reinforce that it’s not okay that she gets up.

Perhaps a bit of bribery may work at this stage, try getting her something new and special, if she stays in bed she can have it but if she gets up you will take it away and you must follow through with whatever you say you will do. It will pass eventually if you persist.

Best of luck.
Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic