Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

14 week old is a nightmare again!! Lock Rss

My little girl is now 14 weeks old and has become a nightmare again when it comes to sleeping. We started using the "Its Time to Sleep" techniques when she was about 8 weeks old and have had a lot of success with it. It got to the point where she wouldn't even cry when we put her in her cot - she would just put her thumb in and go to sleep. And she slept for a good long time - 1.5 to 2 hours each time during the day and from 6.30pm to 7am at night.

However, in the last week she has become impossible again. We're still following exactly the same routine and using the same techniques but its not working anymore. She will only sleep for 40 - 50 minutes at a time in the day. I try to resettle her for 20 minutes but she just screams the whole time so I get her up. She is still only staying up for 1 - 1.5 hours each time before showing tired signs so back to bed she goes. Once there she will holler and yell for about 15 minutes sometimes longer before finally going to sleep again. She is also going to bed earlier at night now because the timing of her day sleeps is so messy that often she's ready for bed by 6pm. But she's not going to sleep well then either. Lately its taking over an hour for her to go to sleep and most often I have to go in and feed her again to get her to drop off! She's also started waking in the night for a feed again!!!!

I know that her feeding routine is completely out which isn't helping. Before she was fed 3 - 4 hourly. I always fed her when she woke up because she has reflux and it needs to settle before she goes back to bed so we were following the feed, play, sleep routine. Now, because she is not sleeping as long her feeds are getting closer together because she is starving when she gets up (or is showing those signs anyway) and I can't get her to wait for very long or else she gets tired and doesn't feed properly! The actual feeds are a nightmare now too - she keeps pulling off and screaming at me before attacking my breast again like she's starving!

A few of the other mothers that I know are going through something quite similiar at the moment - babies are sleeping less, are harder to get to sleep and aren't feeding as well. Is this just a stage that we have to get through or is there something else going on here? Is there something else we should be trying?

Mum to Caitlin & Owain

Hi,

It might pay to talk to your health nurse about the amount of food bub is getting she may need more than she is getting. Keep up with the routine as best you can, you do know how it works and for now it's the best you can do. Good luck, hopefully this will pass soon.

Cheers Maree

It's Time to Sleep

Sign in to follow this topic