Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Your Baby's Family
  4. Being a Mum
  5. any other mums with mixed race kids?

any other mums with mixed race kids? Rss

and have you ever had to deal with any issues with racism? I have two little monkies, kylan and jayda who are almost 2 and 3 years old. They are half thai and half australian/english (their dad is thai, im aus/eng). They are the most beautiful little boys and i look at them every day and think to myself how beautiful they are, both inside and out. They have all the beautiful features of asian babies, yet a softness in their faces of white babies. Jayda looks a little more like his dad, darker skin and more prominent "asian" eyes, and kylan has a big black curly afro (not a typical asian trait, lol!). I love the fact that they are a mixture, however i often find myself getting dirty stares from people when we are out and about, particularly old people. My own grandparents in fact are quite racist towards asians in general, and although i know they love their grandkids i can see them getting annoyed whenever i mention how much the boys look like their dad. my grandmother always comes back with the comment "but they have your eyebrows" LMAO! I have never really confronted them on the issue as they are both quite old and sick and no good could come from it, but it is still makes me very very angry. There is one incident in particular, it happened the other day when i was doing groceries. I was in the fruit and veggie section and the boys were both sitting in the trolley, nice and quietly, and i noticed a old woman staring first at my kids and then at me with a very dirty look on her face. Not just a dissaproving look, but a full on "you should be ashamed of yourself" look! So i said very loudly to my partner something along the lines of "whats that fugly old bag looking at" and she turned and walked off. I was SO angry, and if she had of stood there a second longer than, EFF RESPECTING MY ELDERS!!! And it is not only white people I have felt this from, i have also noticed asian people looking at me and the boys in a similar way! I usually try and ignore it, and start smiling, talking and kissing the boys, and take comfort in the fact that i am a better person than they are, but sometimes it makes me so angry! It makes me so worried for them as they grow older, obviously being australian never had to deal with any racism throughout my school years. And the sydney riots, it just makes me wonder what this country has come to. everyone deserves the same respect no matter what the colour of hair skin or eyes! I hope there are other mums out there who have found themselves in similar situations. as all my friends babies are white i dont really have any one to talk to who can really understand just how i feel!

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/5os2ev.jpg[/IMG][IMG]h

I don't have this problem but I just wanted to say you kids are gorgeous! I'm sorry you have to go through this but by the sounds of it you will raise them to be very tolerant and accepting young men.
I know exactly how you feel!!!

My husband is Malaysian born Chinese. He has Australian citizenship which he did before we married as he was in Australia on PR for over 20yrs! And we knew each other for close to 6 yrs before we got married. We went out for ages, always on and off again, until it hit him that I actually cared about him! During this time his mum would always try and introduce him to the friend of a friends, friends, daughter even while we were together! And it was mostly because of her he wanted to marry the 'perfect chinese wife'!

One thing I am lucky with though is my family. They are very understanding and accepting. One of my SIL is also Chinese and the other is Maori. I come from a family of 6 kids. My sister is the only one so far to have a caucasian husband. My 2 younger brothers (the only 2 with out partners/married) always tell my mum that my sisters son is the only 'white' grandchild they are going to get!! My grandfather wasn't overly approving at first but he takes everyone on their own merits which thank goodness has worked. They get along very well. My grandma is really more thrilled in the fact that we speak so many languages (chinese/indo/malay) and that they girls bring a different dynamic to things.

Sometimes I dread going out as the looks and the sneers we get from close minded individuals really upsets me. Because of this I have isolated myself somewhat as it's not something I want to deal with especially on my own as my husband works away. I find I get it more from asian women more than anything and I have no idea why!

My husband and I met on Christmas Island which is a very culturally diverse place. Fortunately enough there are alot of interracial marriages. We have friends that still live there and we keep in contact with them. They range from Maori/Chinese, Malay/Caucasian, Malay/Indian, Japanese/Caucasian, Chinese/Indonesian and the list goes on!! A friend of mine told me that mixed babies are the most gorgeous and you never see one that isn't beautiful and I have to agree with that! So I just tell myself that they are just jealous and don't know what they are missing out on!!
I have my two wonderful gorgeous girls and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Oh and I think asian me can be sooooooooo much more considerate at times!!
[Edited on 04/02/2009]

HI im kelly i have 3 beautiful children 10 yr old son Shai , 9 yr old daughter Kahlua an a new bubby girl Portia who is 4 mths , i am aussie my partner of 13 yrs is maori/chinese an we've had the stares an the dirty looks mostly from the elderly an it use to really upset us , my family has always loved my partner an my grandparents think hes just wonderful, his family have always been nice to me but i can feel the resentment sometimes from them for not being with his own race but they adore our kids , we were brought up very different so that can be a strain on our inlaws relationship but we are sooo happy an our babies are gorgeous an very happy too, we just say to ourselves that there just jealous an really need to get a life!! our world is different these days... it just makes us laugh now ...
im soo proud of my kids.. wouldnt change them for the world!!!

hiya,

My DD is 3 and is 50% Singaporean chinese (my side) and 50% caucasian (DH side). I have never encountered those looks here in Australia, but over in Singapore I am sure I got more than a few of them. I get told quite often that DD is gorgeous and adorable, looks of people thinking she is cute etc...

I am sorry to hear that in this day and age that this type of racisim and close mindedness still exists from our peers and our elderly members of our families and communities. Always be proud of your heritage and instill this quality in your children.

Usually the intolerance that people have with mixed raced relationships and children is their inability of understanding another person's culture, heritage and respect of what they have done to leave their home country and to make their home in a new foreign land. The intolerance these people have is their failure to educate themselves or to learn from others.

(i agree with pp..mixed raced babies are so beautiful!)
I have an issue along these lines but, a little different...

I am a white Australian. I have blonde hair, green eyes, and relatively fair skin (though I tan easily).

DF is 75% Greek and 25% Egyptian (he was born and raised in Australia though). He has black hair, dark olive skin, dark eyes, distinct features - very prominent cheek bones and nose.

When I fell pregnant with DS, EVERYONE (including us!) assumed our baby would take after DF. We all assumed that his genes would be more dominant. But, DS has blonde hair, fair skin, light eyes - he looks just like all the males in my family.

He has DF's feet, hands, and ears - and boy does he have his mannerisms lol!

DF's father and sister HATE the fact that DS doesn't look Greek. They saw a photo of my Dad as a baby and it looks IDENTICAL to DS. DF and I both think this is adorable and, we're quite happy with that - my Dad was (and still is) a very handsome man. When they saw this photo, they said "Our side of the family doesn't even get a look in. You can't even tell we're related to him!" and stormed out!

The thing is, although DS takes more after my side, we can still see a lot of DF in him. He may not look Greek or Egyptian but, he still looks like his Daddy!

DF and I love the way our gorgeous boy looks:)

DF just says to his father and sister "It's quite obvious that what you both really want is a little trophy to sit on your book shelf to point at. You want credit for something that isn't even yours! My son is gorgeous and I thank my lucky stars that he takes after the nice side of the family."

Now that I'm pregnant with our second child, Df's father and sister keep saying "maybe THIS one will look like our side?". DF just says back "If this child does come out looking like our side, and you start showing favouritism, you won't be allowed near either of my children."

I think it irritates me but, it absolutely infuriates DF. Although, his father and sister are always like that. They're both just very bitter and selfish in all aspects of life. Thank Goodness DF is so wonderful and puts them in their place!

Funnily enough, the rest of DF's family (including his VERY Greek Grandmother) coudldn't care less! DS is the first of the generation on Df's side (the child I'm carrying now will be the 2nd and it doesn't look like there'll be any more soon). DF's Grandmother is just so darn proud to be a great grandmother; she wouldn't care if DS was pink with yellow spots lol!
hello!

I understand exactly where you are coming from!! your boys are stunningly gorgeous! They are going to be very handsome young men when they grow up smile you are very blessed smile

I am a very fair skinned blue eyed aussie lady, and im married to a lovely guy from East Africa, we have two girls and are about to have our third baby, this time a boy! Our kids are a mix of us both, my girls have some of my features (but their dad dominates hehe!) Id say the kids are caramel or latte lol smile I have had quite a few people come up to me and say 'where did you adopt your kids from?' and i just laugh. Im only 23, not a lot of people in their early 20's can get children adopted quickly and easily! People look and compare the colour of our skin and ive said to one woman 'they are mine! my husband is dark...' and they go 'oh...' Most people compliment how gorgeous the kids are, havent had too many problems or anything. Any sly looks when my husband and I are together I just ignore, put my head up high and smile. One lady said to me once 'do you find it hard being accepted by people?' and i replyed by saying 'im no different to any other person on the planet! in fact, im accepted more..' and that got her a bit annoyed. People can be very small minded, but in my experience anyone that gives sly looks is jealous! I mean, look at how stunning your boys are, id take them as my own in a second!

One of my girlfriends is aussie and his married to a chinese/malaysian man and they have two beautiful mixed kids, a boy and girl. They come across lots of people that adore looking at their kids and ask questions etc but generally dont have too many probs.

are you in syd?

kristen x
I have encountered the "old lady racist" and she is an evil old bitch i can tell you.. i have 2 boys both half Chinese/Cambodian (dad) and me who is just a boring old whitey lol

i have had one woman call my oldest a "spring roll" i threatened her- i know not so good but i had just had my first baby and i was gonna be damned if anyone was gonna give me crap.

I have sometimes come across the women who don like that i have an Asian partner... but they can suck my starfish.. my partner is THE SEXIEST man i have ever known.. and i wouldn't change my choice in men for quids... plus the 2 times i didn't date an Asian man i was beaten by the white guys i dated... i know not a good portrait of white guys and i know there are some great Caucasian men out there but i love my asiian guys fo sure!!!!

Hi Ladies,
Well after reading and seeing all the photo's of your beautiful children I think I know what the problem is ...... all these old ladies and men are simply jeolous that you all have absolutely georgous kids !!!!!!!!!!!lol. Both my husband and I are 'white' Australians but we have friends of mixed cultures who have children and I love each and every one of them no matter what they look like. I think the older generation waas brought up in a very strict and dare I say it - 'black/white' ideas ( and there is no pun intended so please don't take any offence) They just can't get through their heads that the world is a totally different place to when they were young and they just can't seem to move with the times:(
But sa I said before I think you all have beautiful children and are very lucky to have them x
Posted by: punkgal
I have encountered the "old lady racist" and she is an evil old bitch i can tell you.. i have 2 boys both half Chinese/Cambodian (dad) and me who is just a boring old whitey lol

i have had one woman call my oldest a "spring roll" i threatened her- i know not so good but i had just had my first baby and i was gonna be damned if anyone was gonna give me crap.

I have sometimes come across the women who don like that i have an Asian partner... but they can suck my starfish.. my partner is THE SEXIEST man i have ever known.. and i wouldn't change my choice in men for quids... plus the 2 times i didn't date an Asian man i was beaten by the white guys i dated... i know not a good portrait of white guys and i know there are some great Caucasian men out there but i love my asiian guys fo sure!!!!

The 'racist old lady' mentality is from their childhood where they where brainwashed to believe the 'white Austalia policy' and they cant and yes in some cases wont change their attitude(which is not an excuse for blatant rudeness). You appear to have the same attitude these people have but dont have the social racial brainwashing education they did, why is that???

Regardless of race, mixed or both parents the same I cant believe people cant look at a child and see the lovely little person they are..

[Edited on 17/02/2009]
Hi,

My partner had problems growing up & so did i.

DP = english/india
me = filipino/spanish, filipino/german

DD#1 has olive comp. DD#2 fairer comp.
DD#1 looks like me. DD#2 looks like DP

i could write a book about all the crap we have gone though in the past. but now hey we're fruit salads & we love it!!!
Posted by: **PinkPanda**
Posted by: punkgal

The 'racist old lady' mentality is from their childhood where they where brainwashed to believe the 'white Austalia policy' and they cant and yes in some cases wont change their attitude(which is not an excuse for blatant rudeness). You appear to have the same attitude these people have but dont have the social racial brainwashing education they did, why is that???

Regardless of race, mixed or both parents the same I cant believe people cant look at a child and see the lovely little person they are..

your calling me a racist because i have a preference for Asian men? seriously??

im not sexually attracted to Caucasian men, just like my sil isn't attracted to Asian guys big deal why am i a bigot?

maybe u should read what i wrote before insulting ppl

[Edited on 19/02/2009]

Sign in to follow this topic