Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Your Baby's Family
  4. Being a Mum
  5. Newborn not sleeping- exhausted 1st time mummy

Newborn not sleeping- exhausted 1st time mummy Lock Rss

So this is my second day at home with my 5 day old newborn. He was born by emergency Caesarian after a 28 hour labour. The problem we seem to be having is sleeping! I know it's early days but I thought newborns were supposed to sleep a large number of hours a day. Well not this newborn. The first night i Breast fee him before bed. He went to sleep feeding so I picked him up resettled him and popped him in his bassinet. About 30 mins later her was awake I got him up took him to another room breast fed for an additional 40 mins he went off to sleep so I put him back in the bassinet and less than 5 mins later he was screaming again. This went on and on the same thing til 6am when I gave up went into the lounge and fed him and let him sleep on my lap for about 2 hours after a feed. So the next night I thought if I give him a big feed before bed he'll sleep longer. But tonight was even worse. He hasn't slept at all in his bassinet and it's 5 am and I'm out in the lounge again. I just put him in his swing with a dummy and he seems to have settled for at least 10 mins (longer than he lasted in the bassinet. I don't understand why when after I've fed him and he's exhausted and could sleep on my lap for hours will be not even give me an hours sleep. He is having no extended sleep time and I think I've only had 10 hours sleep since he was born 5 days ago! Even during the day he doesn't have long naps. My milk is only just coming in now. Do you think he will sleep longer once it's in? Or is the bassinet the problem? I missed my partner so much when I was in hospital and now I can't even sleep in the bed with him for 10 mins without having to get up. I'm so exhausted and still sore from the Caesar and am running out of ideas. He seems to have settled in the swing now with his dummy. Should I put him to sleep in that in the room. I don't understand why he's not tired. And I know they say sleep when baby sleeps buy when he does it's for such a short time it's no use. Please any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Hello
Congrats on ur new bubs!
Ild say he will be feeding constantly to build up your supply that you are just getting now. When that is fully in bubs will feel more comfortable and hopefully sleep for longer. It is very hard when on demand in the beginning but it gets so much easier really quickly. He is still very new.
Good luck
Firstly CONGRATULATIONS on your new bub smile

It is definitely overwhelming when you bring home a new baby and have no answers to your questions... It WILL get easier... Just remember that bubby is only 5 days old so your body is going through MASSIVE hormonal changes and you are living on hardly any sleep so everything seems so much harder. I ould recommend get you get some help from family and friends. Ask them to come over and watch bubby while you have a sleep. The best thing that I could have done with DS1 was come home from the hospital pass the baby over to daddy and sleep for 3 hours! Use the break time. As for sleeping routines, dont expect too much for the next few days but as you get more comfortable it will all come naturally. Bubby will start to settle. If you are still feeling overwhelmed, call your Maternal Health Nurse.

Good luck with it all
Hi there

Congrats on the birth of your wee man.

It kind of sounds like he may have something called silent reflux, my nephew had and would only sleep sitting up or with the bassinet on an angle, just an idea. Is he getting all his wind up because that tend to upset baby too.

Just a wee idea for you, he may not have that but thought i would put it out there

So this is my second day at home with my 5 day old newborn. He was born by emergency Caesarian after a 28 hour labour. The problem we seem to be having is sleeping! I know it's early days but I thought newborns were supposed to sleep a large number of hours a day. Well not this newborn. The first night i Breast fee him before bed. He went to sleep feeding so I picked him up resettled him and popped him in his bassinet. About 30 mins later her was awake I got him up took him to another room breast fed for an additional 40 mins he went off to sleep so I put him back in the bassinet and less than 5 mins later he was screaming again. This went on and on the same thing til 6am when I gave up went into the lounge and fed him and let him sleep on my lap for about 2 hours after a feed. So the next night I thought if I give him a big feed before bed he'll sleep longer. But tonight was even worse. He hasn't slept at all in his bassinet and it's 5 am and I'm out in the lounge again. I just put him in his swing with a dummy and he seems to have settled for at least 10 mins (longer than he lasted in the bassinet. I don't understand why when after I've fed him and he's exhausted and could sleep on my lap for hours will be not even give me an hours sleep. He is having no extended sleep time and I think I've only had 10 hours sleep since he was born 5 days ago! Even during the day he doesn't have long naps. My milk is only just coming in now. Do you think he will sleep longer once it's in? Or is the bassinet the problem? I missed my partner so much when I was in hospital and now I can't even sleep in the bed with him for 10 mins without having to get up. I'm so exhausted and still sore from the Caesar and am running out of ideas. He seems to have settled in the swing now with his dummy. Should I put him to sleep in that in the room. I don't understand why he's not tired. And I know they say sleep when baby sleeps buy when he does it's for such a short time it's no use. Please any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,
Congratulations on the new arrival!
What you are experiencing sounds normal.The frequent feeding is natures way of building up your milk supply. Really important that you keep at it to ensure you have plenty of milk for bubs. You don't really want bubs to sleep any longer than 2 hours at a time during these early days.
Maybe try lying down on your side and feeding him that way. This mean that you can get some rest while feeding him at the same time and you don't have to get up and down out of bed all the time. Not sure what your feelings are on co sleeping, I did that with my baby son in the first couple of weeks and I am pretty sure it kept us all sane smile
Lying down to feed also helps if you have a strong let down reflex and you have an abundant supply as it slows down the flow of milk and any extra milk can just trickle out the side of bubs mouth without him choking on it.
I know it is so hard these early days,try not to stress and remember it will all pass smile
Hi again,

Also, just wanted to add that bubs will want to be near you all the time, especially in these early days.
It is normal for him to fall asleep on you or next to you.
He won't get into a habit of not sleeping on his own if you have him sleep near you now.
Poor you, so hard! Congrats on your little man. Yes I think it will help once your milk is fully in, that's what they do to help it come in - feed feed feed!! Once milk is in, try using a hottie to warm his bed (then take it out), give him a big feed, swadddle him tightly and tuck him up in bassinette with dummy if it helps. Hope that works!!

Poor you, so hard! Congrats on your little man. Yes I think it will help once your milk is fully in, that's what they do to help it come in - feed feed feed!! Once milk is in, try using a hottie to warm his bed (then take it out), give him a big feed, swadddle him tightly and tuck him up in bassinette with dummy if it helps. Hope that works!!

Thanks mummies, your replies have really helped, sometimes everything is so overwhelming. But he is a beautiful little man and we love him with all our hearts and that helps too when things feel hard smile

I remember this phase.. :/ honestly, wished I stressed less about DD sleeping in her own bed. Try doing what PPs have said, just lie on your side and get a bit of rest while bubs feeds smile

The first few weeks are really difficult with a new baby. My milk came in on day 3 - and bubs was REALLY unsettled and starving by then. So I'm guessing your little man is just needing every little bit of colostrum he can get.

When I was having problems with getting bubs to sleep in the first 2 weeks I had a long chat with a midwife. I was sleeping in the same room which had to stop. Any little grunt or noise and I was awake, so getting out of his room was the first step.

The midwife told me that if they wont sleep without you it's because they don't feel secure. They've spent all that time in the womb and all they know is you, and they feel safe with you. I wasn't wrapping my baby to start with because he didn't seem to like it. The midwife told me it's really important to wrap them - because it feels a little like being in the womb in that their arms wont flail around and hit them in the face - and also it feels like they're being held. So I now have a big stretchy cotton wrap... and as he's a huddini at getting out of it and still dislikes when I first wrap him, I have to wrap him up quite tight to keep him in. Even though he hasn't really liked it when I've first put him in it - I've noticed that he will only sleep if I do wrap him. She also told me - when you wrap them they feel better if their legs are bent up to how they naturally go when you lay them down. So don't wrap their legs straight. It helps with any wind pain and also feels similar to in the womb. I've also been putting a rolled up rug at his feet to help him keep his legs up.

She also told me to start a routine. I'm not a routine person - so the only routine I have is the bedtime one at night. This means he gets a bath, the immediately after he has a feed, and then bed. At 4 weeks old he seems to have cottoned onto this, and now settles straight away in bed.

She told me that in the day time I should put him to sleep in the day light in the living room, and at night in his room in the bassinet. And she said to get a night light - because when they wake up they need to be able to see that they're in a familiar place. So I use the pram in the day time and the bassinet at night.

I've been big on wanting him to self settle because my first child was a nightmare with just sleeping on me only. So I've followed the advice of some of the mums on here. That is to leave them if they're just grizzling, they may just settle down by themselves (and mine has on many occasions), and if it turns into a distressed cry, go in, pick them up - cuddle until they are calm and sleepy and then put them back down awake. Don't pick him up the instant he makes a noise... allow him to have a chance to settle himself. You might have to pick him up 20 times.... but after a few weeks of perseverance your little one will learn that going in the bassinet is sleep time.

I had a lady tell me once that new borns are not born knowing how to sleep, and are not born knowing the difference between night and day - which is why we have to teach them.

I followed the above advice.. and just persevered with doing it the same EVERY time. He is now settled and sleeps for 3 to 4 hours at a time, which means I'm only getting up 2 or 3 times a night.

I hope this is of some help to you. I had a post recently about how hard it is with a newborn... you feel like you bumble around - and sometimes you just need the reassurance that you're doing okay. It also helps to have some direction. I've felt 100% better about what I'm doing now that I've put a plan into place... and I do the same thing every time knowing that eventually he'll be a champion sleeper.

Sign in to follow this topic