Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Your Baby's Family
  4. Older Siblings
  5. Starting school-first 6months or last 6 months should it make s difference

Starting school-first 6months or last 6 months should it make s difference Lock Rss

hi ladies
i know for some of us we haven't even thought about the whole school thing,just wondering if any mothers out there are as annoyed as me when it comes to whether or not your child can start school based on whether they are born in the first 6 months of the year or the last 6.when my eldest started school- kindy 10 years ago ,this is how it went in perth,even though he was born in september
year he turned 4 KINDY
'' '' PRE SCHOOL
'' '' YEAR 1
AND SO ON.
The thing that bugs me the most is that there is only one year between #2and#3 children but there will be a difference of two years in schooling.I think it should be up to the parent and teacher to discuss whether the child is ready for school and shouldn't be up the those bloody government officials.I could go on about how this affects the leaving school age but i won't.

chris wa 1yr, 2yrs 14 yr

hi bizzymum i hadnt thought of it, but now i do, i couldnt agree more. we know our children the best, and we should decide if they are ready for school. i went by the 'old school' system, and it just seems to make more sense than the new system

Tania. WA, Daniel - 26/01/06... smile

Wow so many different systems I didnt even know existed.

Im in NSW and the suburb where I am from you would be lucky to find a preschool anywhere. There are mostly childcare centres, which me being a stay home mum dont think or believe that I should put my kids in.

Anyway back on the subject, all my kids started kindergarten the year they turned 5. I was fortunate that my kids were all 5 before the cut of date of 30th June.

However I believe that the NSW system states that you can hold off sending your kids until they are 6 years old. I had a cousin who didnt start any of her kids until they were 6.

I think it is silly that every state has different starting dates. Their should be a nation wide starting time, what happens if a family moves interstate?

Anyway thanks for the thought. You've got me thinking now
Sign in to follow this topic