Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Late for school Rss

I have 3 kids at school and I am struggling to get them there on time. They dont seem to care if we are late and the school doesnt do anything about it either.

Can anyone think of anything that I can use as a disipline for being late for school or any advice, thanks

I have 3 kids at school and I am struggling to get them there on time. They dont seem to care if we are late and the school doesnt do anything about it either.

Can anyone think of anything that I can use as a disipline for being late for school or any advice, thanks

It depends on why they are late??

what age are you taking about?

if the school isn't fussed, then I don't really see the issue. I know that the aim is to teach them they need to be punctual, but as life goes on they will start to get that when consequences start arising. so if they are in high school and late and the teacher berates them in front of the class, they might choose to be on time. or if they don't get it in high school then they might get it when they start work. if they are late they might be fired. they will learn then.
sometimes we can't teach all of lifes lessons in the first few years. if you are punishing them for being late, it doesn't have any meaning anyway....
is it possible to get everything ready the night before and then in the morning just dressed and breakfast and out the door. or maybe get up 1/2 hour earlier. no tv in morning. not sure what your already doing so just a few suggestions.... little kids have no concept of time anyway so late means nothing. I was taken to school when I was little, caught the bus when I was older, but as soon as I only had to be responsible for me going to school - I was always late. i would go in late because I had to turn my compost, or was reading. once i left school though, i never dreamed of being late to a job or an interview.
Sometimes we can get stressed about things that don't really matter. In this case, nobody seems to be fussed except you, so I wouldn't stress about it!

First up....no tv in the mornings. My kids lose the tv in the mornings if they can't get ready on time. My oldest doesn't get her mobile phone either until she is ready for school. If they are ready early enough it is then a reward to get to watch something on the telly in the morning.

Set their alarm clock to wake them up earlier, tell them they take sooooo long to get ready they obviously need to get out of bed earlier. Works on mine,lol.

Make lunches the night before, set out/find clothes, shoes any notes etc that have to go back to school the night before, makes getting ready easier in the morning.
There is no tv on in the morning, their lunches are packed the night before, clothes set out the night before.

All they have to do is get dressed, breakfast and clean their teeth etc and it takes so long. drives me crazy!!!!!!!

Dee, I do think I should get them out of bed earlier but I struggle to get them out of bed at 6-6.30. The only thing that makes them move is I threaten to spray water on them.

Dee, I do think I should get them out of bed earlier but I struggle to get them out of bed at 6-6.30. The only thing that makes them move is I threaten to spray water on them.

Just carry around a spray bottle of a morning then lol

Just carry around a spray bottle of a morning then lol

I might have to do that lol, watch out for the mad woman with the spray bottle

There is no tv on in the morning, their lunches are packed the night before, clothes set out the night before.

All they have to do is get dressed, breakfast and clean their teeth etc and it takes so long. drives me crazy!!!!!!!

lol, I'd spray the water on them one morning with the water.....they'd be wary for a while after that,lol.

My 2 school aged girls can make getting ready a 2 hour event too! I wonder how they can possibly make it take so long some days,lol. I can get DD3, DS and myself dressed, fed and ready to go in about 20 min!

You could try reward system....children who can be ready on time for school for the entire week get a treat (like picking a family movie to hire over the weekend, a family game to play, choosing their fave dish for dinner one night over the weekend, getting out of one of their chores, having a friend over, extra time on the computer etc) something that gives them an extra incentive to be ready for school on time and really isn't material based or expensive $$$ wise.

I might have to do that lol, watch out for the mad woman with the spray bottle

lol seriously if it works do it!

Do they get pocket money? I'd start deducting from that (but they still have to do their chores) for every minute they are running behind schedule?

I have 3 school age children and this is their morning routine:

Out of bed by 7:30am
Dressed and at the table by 7:45am
Breakfast finished and dishes in the sink by 8 am
Make their lunches and have their bags packed by 8:15am
Brush teeth, wash face do hair and be at the door by 8:30am

They all have rewards charts that I have laminated with their chores/what you see above on it and I make it their responsibility. We are the same, no TV no distractions and if they get 5 days in a row with no crosses they get rewarded with canteen.

I had to be like a drill sergent for the first week, tough love, if you hadnt finished your breakfast too bad move to the next task and if you have time at the end finishe it, if not then you learn the hard way.

I know it probably sounds horrible, but now they get themselves ready and are ready to head on time everyday. Kids respond well to a good routine and clearly set out guidelines.

Its at the point now where I dont even have to get out of bed and they have it all done. (not that I have ever had the chance to sleep in, but Im sure I could trust them).

Give it a go and see if it works.

Good luck

lol, I'd spray the water on them one morning with the water.....they'd be wary for a while after that,lol.

My 2 school aged girls can make getting ready a 2 hour event too! I wonder how they can possibly make it take so long some days,lol. I can get DD3, DS and myself dressed, fed and ready to go in about 20 min!

You could try reward system....children who can be ready on time for school for the entire week get a treat (like picking a family movie to hire over the weekend, a family game to play, choosing their fave dish for dinner one night over the weekend, getting out of one of their chores, having a friend over, extra time on the computer etc) something that gives them an extra incentive to be ready for school on time and really isn't material based or expensive $$$ wise.

thats a good idea, get rewards. I was only thinking of what I can do to them as a consequence of the behaviour. I will try that.

thats a good idea, get rewards. I was only thinking of what I can do to them as a consequence of the behaviour. I will try that.

Do what I did with my now teenage daughters when they wouldn't get ready in time.....drive them to school in their pyjamas!!!!!!!! My DD's thought it was an idle threat until I finally had enough one day and loaded them into the car dressed in whatever they'd managed to get into by that time and were mortified when mum pulled up at the front gate of the school and offered to walk them in in front of all their mates LOL

They've never dragged the chain again hehehehehe

HeartKids show courage, strength & tenacity

Sign in to follow this topic