Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Your Baby's Family
  4. Older Siblings
  5. thoughts about homeschooling?

thoughts about homeschooling? Lock Rss

hi mums and dads,

Im just wondering if anyone is doing homeschooling for their bubs? Im thinking with all the bullies and nasty habits kids are picking up from primary schools i dont want my son expose to it.. Well.. the negative side i hear about it puts me off.. i dont want my son to be shy around people and dont ever want to effect their social life.. but im thinking of putting them into alot of after school activities.. would that be enough? im thinking only primary stage.. will my kids listen less because im their mum? all this questions is going through my head. At the moment my boys are 2 years old and 1 year old.. Time goes so quick and i want to decide what i want to do.. Please i need your advice or opinion. Positive or negative.. I need to do my homework first.. mellow

Hi I homeschool.

My children are extremely social. Also I make sure they are in activities where they mix with kids there age.

My children are distance education students So I use a pre done christian ciriculum.

There are days where it is a stuggle. But most of the time we enjoy it. We get up at 5am are starting school by 6am and finished by 9-10am in the morning. I am very strict about school being done. That is just that acedamics. We do extra stuff during the day.

My son had a hard time reading. He is improving everyday and getting better and better. I am glad that I am able to homeschool him as I feel he would be lost in a class. My daughter is a smarty pants.lol She is exceling in all she does and I know she would be a pain at school in the end.lol

It is a very personal choice and for us at the moment we are loving it. But I am always open to school in the future if that is what they want.

If you choose to do it. Be prepared for people to roll their eyes or infer that your child is not educated. lol But just smile back and you quickly learn to only say it when asked.lol

hi mums and dads,

Im just wondering if anyone is doing homeschooling for their bubs? Im thinking with all the bullies and nasty habits kids are picking up from primary schools i dont want my son expose to it.. Well.. the negative side i hear about it puts me off.. i dont want my son to be shy around people and dont ever want to effect their social life.. but im thinking of putting them into alot of after school activities.. would that be enough? im thinking only primary stage.. will my kids listen less because im their mum? all this questions is going through my head. At the moment my boys are 2 years old and 1 year old.. Time goes so quick and i want to decide what i want to do.. Please i need your advice or opinion. Positive or negative.. I need to do my homework first.. mellow

I have a teenage DD going through fighting, being bullied, bullying others, it is a nightmare. I almost pulled her out of school this week (temporarily) so she could take a break, learn some strategies to cope, give it all a chance to die down etc. Thankfully things seem to be on the improve and the school staff seem to be making headway with stopping the behaviour of all the children involved (inc my DD).

As far as home schooling goes...my opinion...I just don't know that it is the answer for escaping bullying or a way of stopping them picking up bad habits from other children. I also don't think fear that your child may be bullied or corrupted is a reason to consider undertaking home schooling either. I understand that some people pull a child out of mainstream schooling after bullying etc occurs as they think it best for their child (have considered it myself), I just don't see home schooling as being a way of protecting your child from exposure to bullies or a preventative measure (if that makes sense). Children can be bullied at out of school activities or in other social situation just as easily.
you must be either crazy or very patient.There is no way I could teach my kids.Some of the work they do already in yrs 2, 3 and 4 is challenging for me as it is lol.And mine would not listen to me, they dont even listen when I try to help with homework.I am leaving it to the experts and my kids are thriving and excelling.One of my mum's friends home schooled one of her daughters but in the high school years not primary because she found the bullying worse then( at a so called christian school)

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Hi,
I was homeschooled through highschool due to being constantly bullied. I personally wouldn't recommend it altho it was highschool and I didnt have a lot of outside activities. I became very withdrawn and depressed due to having no friends and little support, and when I did eventually face the big bad world I had a hard time fitting in which resulted in a lot of rebelling.

This is just my experience only and like I said it was highschool years.. I really want my kids to have lots of friends and a good social circle, I am hoping that now we are in a small town I can control things better than living in the city.

Good luck, I hope u make the right decision, whatever that may be.

Hi,

I don't plan on home schooling (I just don't think I would be very good at it), but I did know a family who home schooled their three children. The kids seemed very bright and had really great social skills and manners. They were a close family and alsways did loads of extra activities.
I don't think it would be easy at all, but if you've got the patience and determination, I say go for it!
wow thanks for sharing everyone.. its good to know the good side and the bad side of homeschooling.. im making a big list of pros and cons of it and maybe just follow my gut instinct. this is really really interesting and very challenging for me.. thanks again for sharing all your experience.

wow thanks for sharing everyone.. its good to know the good side and the bad side of homeschooling.. im making a big list of pros and cons of it and maybe just follow my gut instinct. this is really really interesting and very challenging for me.. thanks again for sharing all your experience.

I also wanted to add....

I think before anyone considers home schooling they need to have a real desire to want to teach their children.

I think if you choose to home school you need to have a real dedication to the education process, understanding how children learn, seeking out information and resources to continually improve your own knowledge and abilities as your child's teacher.

I also wanted to add....

I think before anyone considers home schooling they need to have a real desire to want to teach their children.

I think if you choose to home school you need to have a real dedication to the education process, understanding how children learn, seeking out information and resources to continually improve your own knowledge and abilities as your child's teacher.

thanks dee.. just wondering whats your thoughts about homeschooling? you ever consider it?

It is something I am thinking about doing, but is a while off yet for me. My SIL home schools her 2 DD's, but I don't think she does it the 'right' way. Her girls have no structure or routine to their day, which i think is wrong, imo, to home school, the children still need a routine. In saying that though, I havnt really looked into it much just yet though...

I don't know much about home schooling but I was impressed one day when i was waiting in line at the grocery store and this man i have seen around with these primary aged 2 boys and he travels around on a bus.
Anyway they were having a conversation with the checkout lady and saying how they are home school and I could not help notice these boys were so polite and nice

thanks dee.. just wondering whats your thoughts about homeschooling? you ever consider it?

I have seriously considered it and looked into it over the years.
Sign in to follow this topic