Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Your Baby's Family
  4. Older Siblings
  5. 6yrs and still wears a nappy through the night

6yrs and still wears a nappy through the night Rss

Hi all

My nearly 6 year old is dry during the day, however at night he still wears a nappy. We have tried everything! We were going through a stage of waking him 3 times through the night. Somehow though he still managed to have wet the bed by the morning! It is very exhausting for everyone! We restrict his drinks after school, but still have had no luck! He just wees constantly through the night and doest even wake up when he wees the bed.

Has anyone else been through this? I would appreciate any advise.

Thanks
Hi there, that sounds very frustrating and difficult for everyone. Have you been to see your GP? There is a treatment (not suitable for everyone) that can be helpful in bedwetting in older children, it may be worth seeing whether it would be suitable for your son. Do you use nappies or Dry-Nites? Dry-Nites are a bit more absorbent than nappies as they are made for bigger kids with bigger wees.

It is very common for kids to still be bedwetting at this age, and as annoying and angry as you must get while being woken all night long, try not to get cranky at him as that can make him anxious and the problem may get worse. Do you use brolly sheets? Making the bed up with a couple of layers means that you can just strip the top layer off quickly with little fuss in the night and get down to the next one. There are bedwetting alarms available too which may help, but have heard mixed opinions on these. But please visit your GP, even if it's just for a thorough check-up to be sure he's in tip-top health. Good luck x
Funnily enough, I was just looking around the web for some advice myself, as my 3 year old has been day-trained for a year but night-time seems a long way off (he's still in nappies - he wanted to leave it off one night & wet the bed, now he insists on one! I was trying to talk to him about it again yesterday to avoid buying more nappies, but when we got to the nappy aisle, he was picking up the biggest pack he could fine telling me "boys need nappies so they don't pee in the bed" lol)

This was pretty informative. http://www.brollysheets.com/Help++Advice/Night+time+toilet+training.html

It wouldn't hurt to take him to the Dr, just to make sure there's no underlying issue, but it is pretty common to still be weeing in their sleep at this age. Brolly sheets sound like a good idea I've also heard the Conni products are just as good if not better. (both products might be cheaper on other websites, haven't had time to look around)

I've decided to leave my DS go for now. He still wakes with a wet nappy every morning, so I guess that means he's not ready. It's a bit frustrating as he's been day trained for so long, and I'd love to do away with nappies alotogether, but if he's not ready, then he's not ready. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for you with your child still wetting at 6 - but it WILL get better <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>

Good luck <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>
my SIL was six and wtting the bed so my MIL went to her gp about the bad wetting mattress protector that lets of a sound when its happening so she could wake up stop and finish it in the toilet majority only need to use this for 2 weeks and it was free to use if not i cant see them charging more than a standard hiring price..SIL just needed soemthing to wake up her brain and get her use to waking up when she felt the need to go...IS VERY worth it as my mother is a lazy mum and hasnt done thsi with my sister and she stopped wetting the bed at 12 and my 11 year old brother is still wetting the bed...
I take both my kids to the chiropractor and I have heard that chiropractors can help elder children with bed wetting. Give it a go. They are very gentle with kids in fact my DS who has just turned 4 loved going and actually sits there with this very content look on his face like he is getting a massage.
Hi
My son is almost 7 and yes, same as your son, he still wets the bed despite drink restrictions, making sure he wees before bed and my husband also takes him to the toilet before he goes to bed himself but to no avail.

I have spoken with the doctor and CHN and they said there is a bed alarm that wakes them when they wee during the night however they need to be able to undress their bed and remake it. I can't see DS doing this as he has a real high bed.

Another option was medication but she said to wait until it really bothers me or DS.

My friends say that's why Huggies created Dry Nites! smile

Hi, there's no problem with being wet at night - heaps of kids are.

I use brolly sheets because I find the nappies etc just give him an excuse.

My friend had amazing success with an alarm. It worked for her in about 4 days and never looked back. It can take longer though. www.wetalert.com.au

Also, FYI what the Chiropractor is treating is retained primative reflexes. Google it - it's very interesting across a massive range of developmentl issues. Gymbaroo can help get rid of retained reflexes also. Bed wetting is a symptom of Spinal Gallant Reflex being retained, see below.

Spinal Galant Reflex:
This reflex is developed 18 weeks after conception and helps develop hip movement, which is thought to aid the birth process. It is present in the newborn and is normally integrated by the end of the first year of life. The Spinal Galant reflex is activated by stroking the lower back. If both sides of the spine are stimulated at the same time, it activates the involuntary voiding reflex causing urination.

If this reflex is retained beyond the normal integration time, stimulation to the lower back region by anything (e.g. chairs and clothing) will cause involuntary contraction of the muscles. Therefore, it can cause the child to wriggle around and not sit still. Because it is often a constant irritant, the child’s concentration and short term memory can suffer. If it is retained only on one side, it may affect posture and walking resulting in a limp or asymmetrical gait. This can contribute to scoliosis development. If it is retained on both sides, it often creates an inability to sit upright in a young child, poor bladder control and trouble with toilet training (resulting in the child becoming a bed wetter). This is due to the bed sheets or bed activating the voiding reflex.

http://www.totalchir...ve_reflexes.htm
My DD turned 4 in June and I have only just taken the nappy off her at night about 2 months ago.
If I had waited for her night nappy to be dry in the morning, she'd still be in nappies.
She wet the bed every night for about a week, then it was about 3 times the following week and since then it has been about once a week.
I think by the age of 6 they are using the nappy because it is there which is what my DD was doing.
I have the connie pads which go on top of the bedsheets so no need to change the sheets at all, now the only other drama is the doona gets wet too so that always needs a wash but if it means I have to buy a new one for next winter so be it smile
If it were my DD, I'd take the nappy off and see how she went for about 2 weeks.
Oh yeah, I make sure she goes to the toilet immediately before bed and I wake her when I am on my way to bed and she stays dry that way smile
Just reading your post again, I'm thinking the alarm might be the solution for you, it wakes them and apparently after a few weeks they start waking before the alarm goes off and before they have wee'd giving them the chance to go to the toilet and stay dry.
Also, you can try calling your local childrens hospital, they should have some sort of bedwetting clinics you can go to. Mine said they will talk children over the age of 5 and a half yrs.

Hi
My son is almost 7 and yes, same as your son, he still wets the bed despite drink restrictions, making sure he wees before bed and my husband also takes him to the toilet before he goes to bed himself but to no avail.

I have spoken with the doctor and CHN and they said there is a bed alarm that wakes them when they wee during the night however they need to be able to undress their bed and remake it. I can't see DS doing this as he has a real high bed.

Another option was medication but she said to wait until it really bothers me or DS.

My friends say that's why Huggies created Dry Nites!

They can be used from 5 years and depending on the brand they are so sensitive the child usually wakes before wetting the bed. They dont need to make the bed!! I'm not sure if that was meant as part of the training - but seems bonkas!!!

My DD turned 4 in June and I have only just taken the nappy off her at night about 2 months ago.
If I had waited for her night nappy to be dry in the morning, she'd still be in nappies.
She wet the bed every night for about a week, then it was about 3 times the following week and since then it has been about once a week.
I think by the age of 6 they are using the nappy because it is there which is what my DD was doing.
I have the connie pads which go on top of the bedsheets so no need to change the sheets at all, now the only other drama is the doona gets wet too so that always needs a wash but if it means I have to buy a new one for next winter so be it <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>
If it were my DD, I'd take the nappy off and see how she went for about 2 weeks.
Oh yeah, I make sure she goes to the toilet immediately before bed and I wake her when I am on my way to bed and she stays dry that way <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>
Just reading your post again, I'm thinking the alarm might be the solution for you, it wakes them and apparently after a few weeks they start waking before the alarm goes off and before they have wee'd giving them the chance to go to the toilet and stay dry.
Also, you can try calling your local childrens hospital, they should have some sort of bedwetting clinics you can go to. Mine said they will talk children over the age of 5 and a half yrs.

Same here - I swear pull ups and dry nights just drag it out. If we forget to put one on we usual have a dry boy in the morning but they are drenched when he wears one - crazy!! I have brolly sheets - like Connies. They are so easy. <3 them!!
Hmm that's strange. That's 2 doctors and one CHN who said not to worry about it.
We have tried putting no nappy on him for a few nights and he just sleeps and wakes up in a wet bed. He even sleeps through smoke alarms!

When DS is 7 I will try the alarm over school hols. I feel like a lazy mum now.

Hmm that's strange. That's 2 doctors and one CHN who said not to worry about it.
We have tried putting no nappy on him for a few nights and he just sleeps and wakes up in a wet bed. He even sleeps through smoke alarms!

When DS is 7 I will try the alarm over school hols. I feel like a lazy mum now.

They are super loud. Some kids are too scared of them to use them.

I'm with you though - I'd be lazy Mum too! Life is so busy without adding other stressors.

PS. I wasn't knocking you, I just found the idea of a 7yo getting up and making the bed hilarious. I have 15yo's who would just sleep in it wet rather than make it themselves!!
Sign in to follow this topic