Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Your Baby's Family
  4. Older Siblings
  5. what does the tooth fairy do in your house?

what does the tooth fairy do in your house? Rss

Lol my DD is few yrs off the tooth fairy stage, but my sister was staying at my place one night a couple of yrs ago (she was 6 at the time) and one of her teeth fell out so she put it under the pillow and i did the whole tooth fairy thing for her, however i had no idea how much money to put so i put a $10 note hahaha

I got in trouble from my mum and dad the next day when she went home for giving her so much coz now when one falls out they have to give her $10 laugh laugh

Apparently it's supposed to be $2 or something... I will probably give DD $5 when she starts losing teeth!!
no where near it yet with my kids but when my sisters and I were losing our teeth we got all of 20c for each one smile We had a "Ruthie Toothy" to put our teeth in under the pillow (two pieces of white felt in the shape of a tooth sewn together with two eyes and a mouth on the front). I think I actually still have my Ruthie Toothy in my jewellery box lol.
DS1 lost his first tooth just a few months ago. I had brought him a tooth fairy book that came with a metal tin to put the tooth in. I also googled and found some good sites that have letters and certificates from the tooth fairy that you can personalise.
So for the first he got $5, a letter from the tooth fairy to say thank you for the tooth and it also explained that she puts them in her castle and that his would be going on the tooth fairy castle's hall of fame, and a certificate.
For his second tooth he got $2 and another letter and certificate (different from the fist ones). He thinks it's great!

DSS 13yr, DS1 4yr, DS2 3yr

Well DD is only 3 (almost) atm and we havent had a tooth fairy yet but DD has been very in love with the idea of the tooth fairy for a few months so when toilet training she had a visit from the toilet fairy grin and the toilet fairy left money ontop of the toilet, the tooth fairy will leave money in a special little bag under DDs pillow smile
My DH goes on the theory that he's the tooth fairy and he gets to decide - nobody else gets a say (ie. Me).

He seems to go with whatever amount he is carrying in coins.

My nieces & nephews have always loved losing teeth while staying with us...
DD1 just lost 2 teeth in succession. We left a dollar for her which is a hell of alot more than what we got as a kid, lol we used to think the kids that got gold coinage were spoilt! imagine what we thought if one of them got a note omg!

Funnily enough mum came across a tooth fairy book with a little silver bag attached to the front 10 mins before we discovered DD1's tooth was loose. the book is fantastic in explaining what happens to the tooth etc..(i can't remember what it said as it was a really long book lol!) but she bought into it all and loved every minute of it, atm she is so stoked to discover the new one growing thru grin

My nephew started pulling teeth when he discovered you could get money for them.. ahh a boy after my own heart, i did the exact same thing. I made sure he didn't inform DD1 about it though LOL!

gosh I don't know why we do money at all?

So dont do it.
There is no law to say that you have to. She's just like Santa & the Easter Bunny - to do or not to do???

In our house, the tooth fairy comes & leaves $5. Apparently there has been some price hikes from the lady (ie, the tooth fairy) since we were all kids & i thought that getting $1 was just the bees knees.
When my DD's lost their first tooth the tooth fairy gave them a little fairy box to put there next teeth in. Also the first tooth was double ($4) every other tooth after that is $2. Having a tooth in a box by her bed is easier than trying to get it from under there pillow.

When my DD's lost their first tooth the tooth fairy gave them a little fairy box to put there next teeth in. Also the first tooth was double ($4) every other tooth after that is $2. Having a tooth in a box by her bed is easier than trying to get it from under there pillow.

I think when my little one gets to that stage Ill do something similar along these lines.

I think giving them too much encourages tooth pulling! HAHA
I remember only getting $1 for each tooth because that was the only coin that could fit nicely in my tooth holder. other then the 5c and 10c pieces but my mum wasn't that stingy! HAHA
We have several fairy books with tooth fairy stories in them, so that was a way of explaining why the tooth fairy takes your teeth and what she does with them etc.

We put lost teeth into a glass of water on the windowsill and the tooth fairy magically replaces the tooth with a gold coin. When the kids wake up in the morning there is money in the glass where their tooth had been.
I havn't got any kids at the 'tooth losing' age yet but a friend of mine gives $5 for the first tooth lost and $5 for the top 2 front teeth. Then its $2 for every other tooth. I think I will do something similar.
Wanted to add... with the glass of water, something I am going to be doing with DD2 (who has her 1st wobbly tooth atm) is put her to bed with a glass of plain water and the lost tooth, and when I take the tooth and replace it with money, I will add a little colour to the water. The story behind it being that the fairy colours the water to be whatever colour she is. So you can change the colour with each tooth and have different tooth fairies collecting the lost teeth. Just another little bit of excitement and suspense to add to the tooth fairy experience.
Sign in to follow this topic