Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Your Baby's Family
  4. Older Siblings
  5. Kids too small for adult seatbelts

Kids too small for adult seatbelts Rss

Post deleted by administrator.
I agree with this article but I find it a little confusing.

Either my 5 year old isn't going to grow very much over the next 2 years, or they're going to make bigger boosters?

My 5 year old is 24 kg and when I checked out where his eyes were in relationship to the back of the head rest, he has around 5 cm left. I don't think he is a particularly big boy for 5, he looks around the same size as his class mates, so how can they say that they have to sit in a booster until 8 when they only make them to fit up to 26 kg.

I am sure by 8 my son is going to be past 26kg, I even think he is going through a growth spurt,

I agree that children should be in the booster seats for as long as they can but to say they have to stay in it until 8, isn't such a good idea when children are different shapes and sizes. It seems that mine might be on the heavy side lol.
Post deleted by administrator.
I just copied and pasted this and still does not work!can you give me a run down about this?my 5 yr old is 22 kg in a foam booster the belt fits him well my 7 yr old is 28 kg sitting in a small half booster the belt sometimes goes close to his neck and my 4 yr old is 24 kg still in a 5 point maxi rider but in hubbys car in a foam booster

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Under 32kg, I would be using H-harness.

Under 26kg, a booster with a H-harness

Under 18kg, Car seat with an inbuilt 5-pt harness.

FWIW, my DD is 14kg, and 84cm tall. She is in a MaxiRider2, Britax who make the SnS seats have just released a statement saying that all their 18kg 5-pt harnesses can be used till 20kg.
So DD will be in her MR2 with the 5pts till 20kg, then with the Protecta (H-harness) till 26kg, then Protecta without booster till32kg, so hopefully till she is 8-10-ish...

It's a subject I've really researched, we drive a lot, and I want my kids super safe.
If you want the Britax statement PM me your email and I'll forward it.
[Edited on 19/07/2007]

Mummy to Ava- 26mths, Leo- 14mths & #3- Due Sept

If the seatbelt is sitting to high around your child's neck and they are heavy enough to be in a booster then Id suggest investing in an H harness. They're not all that expensive (around $50) and in the event of a crash they distribute the impact across your childs body correctly, helping to minimise injuries caused by an ill fitting seat belt.

Karen, DS1 31/8/03, DD 12/3/07, DS2 16/12/09

So where do you get the H-harness from? Thanks for the tip, I never would have thought of a H-harness.

My son is in a safe and sound something or other (don't know exactly what make) booster seat. It has a thing that clips and stops the seatbelt from sliding up their necks.
H-harnesses can be bought from K-mart, Big W, Target and baby stores.

The H harness comes with a clip that converts a lap-sash seat belt to a lap only belt so that is passes across the childs hips correctly. With the harness you wont need to use the clips on the sides of the booster seat any more.

Thanks for that. How much do they normally cost?
The safe n sound one is about $50. There are cheaper ones around but the advantage the safe n sound one has is that it has 2 heights for the seatbelt to pass through meaning you can adjust where the harness sits across your childs chest (if it sits too high it can cause injuries in an accident, if it sits too low then it wont restrain them adequately).

Sign in to follow this topic