Huggies Forum

How much does you family spend Lock Rss

I was reading the responses to the previous post about grocery shopping and it got me thinking about how much my family spends on groceries and what we buy. For my family of four we budget $275 a fortnight for groceries (just the basics really) including nappies and wipes for two kids. $275 doesn't seem to stretch very far these days so I'm just wondering if I need to shop smarter or try to increase my budget. Is $275 conservative for four people?? How much do you spend on average?
I always budget around $200 for all my groceries each week, including nappies, wipes, etc. I like to be able to do it for cheaper, but for a family of 6, 2 adults, 4 children, 2 cats and 2 dogs, I don't think it can get much cheaper!

kerrie, VIC, DD 12/8/03, DD 12/10/05, DD 14/9/07, DD 4/1/10

$220per fortnight with 2 Adults 4 Children one still in nappies that includes everything nappies, meat, fruit, vegies, cleaning products ect. Plus we have one takeaway meal a fortnight costing $20max (fish & chips or BBQ Chook & chips) so a total of $240 per fortnight.

I was reading the responses to the previous post about grocery shopping and it got me thinking about how much my family spends on groceries and what we buy. For my family of four we budget $275 a fortnight for groceries (just the basics really) including nappies and wipes for two kids. $275 doesn't seem to stretch very far these days so I'm just wondering if I need to shop smarter or try to increase my budget. Is $275 conservative for four people?? How much do you spend on average?

I spend that a for a week -family of 5 , but am guilty of too many lunchbox type foods.No nappies etc here just 3 growing boys!On average anything from $220-$300 per week

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Too much blink
I usually do about $60 at Aldi, then in coles i'll spend about $70, ill usually buy some things from the fruit shop and butcher, so thats another $30-$40 odd, so i guess if i add up altogether, it comes to around the $200 mark (with my extra little shop runs)

Oh per fortnight

to add: we are a family of 3- 2 adults, and one 2yo

I spend on average $200 per week. Sometimes less, sometimes more. But I find that the products I HAVE to buy, due to DD's severe allergies, are very costly. sad Seems as though the retailer knows that because people don't have a choice but to buy these things, they put the prices up.

I have tried and tried to get it down under $200.... but I just can't seem to do it. sad

If anyone has any tips then I would love to hear them!

Just to add that there are 4 in our family, 2 adults and 2 children. smile

But I find that the products I HAVE to buy, due to DD's severe allergies, are very costly. sad

arent they grossly overpriced? I have been complaining about that too!! Seen as we are now a 1 income family, i have gone back to making most of the 'snack' style foods for DD again - costly on the initial outlay, but stretches pretty far.

We probably spend anywhere between $80-$150 per week. I know that's a big variance, but if DH is on the night shifts (usually a week on, week off), the 2 kids & I eat simpler dinners, less meat & more vegies, so that seems to save heaps on those weeks.

We manage to feed DH, DD - 4yrs, DS - 12 years & myself.
For 3 adults 1 ten year old and 2 young children we are managing 200 a week. Also half the week we also have sil and her boyfriend to feed. Compared to when it was just us 4 i think im doing a good job.

For 3 adults 1 ten year old and 2 young children we are managing 200 a week. Also half the week we also have sil and her boyfriend to feed. Compared to when it was just us 4 i think im doing a good job.

How do you manage to keep it that low? Share your secrets! LOL! wink

We are a family of 6 and a dog and I have to say that we spend a disgusting amount on food. We have just moved away from my aldi :0( so that has made it worse so now I only have a choice of coles or woolies to buy everything....I am going to suss out the markets tomorrow though to see what fruit and veg cost. That and the deli is a killer as DH loves salamis and stuff. We are averaging about $350 a week .... I have a meal plan and bake, etc....How how how do you guys do it so cheaply...?

How do you manage to keep it that low? Share your secrets! LOL! wink

Sure can. We buy frozen veg only get potatos and carrots fresh. Have very basic and cheap meals. We also eat leftover's once a week. One night a week is junk night as mil and i work that night so tea is either pizza or something deep fried. We eat alot of mince and sausages. When Foodland in nuri have a market day you will get alot of specials check the herald they advertise it in there. It also has alot of reduced meat at times. Coles gawler is also really good i now shop there weekly instead of foodland.
Sign in to follow this topic