Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Question for the huggies doctors Lock Rss

Does any one know what the acceptable respiratory rate is for an almost 17 month old?? I mean I know he is sick and I know he is breathing shallow - already been up the hospital and they gave him redipred and said to go straght back to the ER it he is showing signs if respiratory distress or tachacardia?? So i am now wondering what constitutes as distress and what is tachacardia (?sp?). His breathing is currently 48 BPM yeah just watched him with a timer lol

Thanks in advance

Leigha''s little men smile

Does any one know what the acceptable respiratory rate is for an almost 17 month old?? I mean I know he is sick and I know he is breathing shallow - already been up the hospital and they gave him redipred and said to go straght back to the ER it he is showing signs if respiratory distress or tachacardia?? So i am now wondering what constitutes as distress and what is tachacardia (?sp?). His breathing is currently 48 BPM yeah just watched him with a timer lol

Thanks in advance

If you check this Link it says that 6-12mths is 25-40 breaths per minute and toddlers 20-35. Are his nostrils flaring? Or his chest sinking in when he breaths? Those are the two main questions we get asked when DS has an asthma attack. Might be worth a phone call to nurse on call

Hugs NEss

I would think that is a little too rapid. If it were me I would be taking him back to the hospital.

Usual breathing rates are :

Under 1 = 30-40
1-2 = 25-35
2-5 = 25-30
5-12 = 20-25
over 12 = 15-20

Tachycardia is basically an elevated heart rate. Usual rates are :

Under 1 = 110-160
1-2 = 100-150
2-5 = 95-140
5-12 = 80-120
over 12 = 60-120

I hope he is ok.
thanks so much for your replies, what a night arghhhh

well we still have to go back to the gp this morning and the parting words from the doc at the hospital were "we will probably see you again soon" great lol something to look forward too

ETA - ok getting conflicting information can anyone tell me what is the difference between asthma and Bronchiolitis and how this relates to pneumonia??

thanks again

Bronchiolitis is an acute (short term) inflammation of the smallest air passages whilst asthma is a chronic (long term) condition that causes constriction of all air passages (in simple terms).

Pneumonia is basically an infection of the lungs caused by viruses or bacteria. If your bub has bronchiolitis it can turn into pneumonia. Bubs with asthma are more likely to have chest infections and pneumonia.
Just to define a few things:

Bronchiolitis is inflammation in the bronchioles (The small branches of the lungs) just like Bronchitis is inflammation in the bronchi (the big branches of the lungs).

*My almost 6 month old DS currently has bronchiolitis. He didn't have to go into hospital but we spent a little time there under observation. He is improving now.

It is an acute illness.

I'm not sure what the difference to pneumonia actually is. It is a lung infection as well but I think it may involve fluid in the lungs?

Asthma is more chronic and to do with constriction of the airways and trouble breathing.

BPM is beats per minute which refers to heart rate not breathing.
Tachycardia is a faster than normal heart rate. Also not to do with breathing.

RR is the respiratory rate (breaths taken in a minute).

I hope your son is okay.
thanks for all that. Yeah I am sure he will be fine just having a hard time of it at the moment... he has been on antibiotics all week but is not getting better yet, had a couple of trips to the hospital where last night they put him on the machine and the sent us home with another 3 days of redipred. He originally was being treated for a chest infection, we have to complete the antibiotics and take him to the gp daily as they think it is rsv(??) but due to his immune deficiency he has to be monitored closely. When I took him to the hospital last night they said not to wait until he is at that stage next time - I was like well he is not that much worse then during the day except his breathing was more shallow... apparently I could be looking at another 2 weeks of this, do not think we will cope with 2 more weeks of him barely eating or drinking... he is sleeping a lot though so hope that helps his body to heal...

So are they saying he has Bronchiolitis? basically watch for him drawing in from the chest or throat these are signs hes having trouble breathing, and also they more cheak for oxygen levels which need to be over 92-93% with that machine they would have put on him, if its that low they would put and oxygen tube on him. But also if hes breathing too fast but you will just know when he is. If its bronchiolites its supposed to peak at day 2-3 and get better but i had my middle son who was 10months at the time in hospital for 16 days but he wasn't admitted for 3-4 days. We think he actually had pneumonia but docs reckon he didnt. But iv never known anyone be that sick for that long with bronchiolites. Hope your little one gets better.

So are they saying he has Bronchiolitis? basically watch for him drawing in from the chest or throat these are signs hes having trouble breathing, and also they more cheak for oxygen levels which need to be over 92-93% with that machine they would have put on him, if its that low they would put and oxygen tube on him. But also if hes breathing too fast but you will just know when he is. If its bronchiolites its supposed to peak at day 2-3 and get better but i had my middle son who was 10months at the time in hospital for 16 days but he wasn't admitted for 3-4 days. We think he actually had pneumonia but docs reckon he didnt. But iv never known anyone be that sick for that long with bronchiolites. Hope your little one gets better.

Yeah I took him up because his breathing was shallow and fast, that and the fact that you could hear him from the other side of the room, they said to keep an eye out for the hollow in his sternum (showed me last night) or if his throat gets hollow looking.. we are up to day 6 now sad Ummm do they check the oxygen through the monitor they put on his foot??? not sure what "sat" means but they said his sat levels were at 76% (that is when they put him on the machine (mask) then they gave him a dose of redipred while we were there.. the doc last night said bronchiolites but they were also concerned about his lung capacity the doc said today that they were watching for signs of pneumonia, but if he showed any signs of distress then to not go back to the surgery (at the end of my street) but to take him straight to the ER. He has just slept for 1.5 hours and is still going so I am keeping fingers crossed that when he wakes up he might want to eat / drink, the good thing is that he LOVES the peadi-lite iceblocks so at least I am able to get them into him happily

what is tachacardia

Tachycardia is an elevated heart rate and you'll be able to feel just with your hand over the heart when it's elevated as it will feel very fast. My DS2 has Supraventricular Tachycardia that I need to monitor every day by this method (as well as listening with a stethoscope or a little handheld ecg monitor)and it's pretty easy to feel if their heart rate is up a bit high.

Some signs you might see if your DS is having a tachycardia issue could be that he appears pale and listless, or fainting. If you can't count the heartbeats as it's going too fast it's a good indication that he's in tachycardia.

Just so you know well ahead of time if he does go into Tachycardia, the heart rate can be brought down at home even if you are going up the hospital (which you'll have to do if he does go into Tachycardia) and it's drug-free.....make sure you have some ice or an ice pack in the freezer and if the heart rate gets too high, place a bag of ice over his head/face for a few seconds. I know it sounds cruel but the shock of the cold ice stimulates what is known as the Valsalva maneuver which impedes the return of venous blood to the heart & this slows the heart rate down.

HeartKids show courage, strength & tenacity

Yeah I took him up because his breathing was shallow and fast, that and the fact that you could hear him from the other side of the room, they said to keep an eye out for the hollow in his sternum (showed me last night) or if his throat gets hollow looking.. we are up to day 6 now sad Ummm do they check the oxygen through the monitor they put on his foot??? not sure what "sat" means but they said his sat levels were at 76% (that is when they put him on the machine (mask) then they gave him a dose of redipred while we were there.. the doc last night said bronchiolites but they were also concerned about his lung capacity the doc said today that they were watching for signs of pneumonia, but if he showed any signs of distress then to not go back to the surgery (at the end of my street) but to take him straight to the ER. He has just slept for 1.5 hours and is still going so I am keeping fingers crossed that when he wakes up he might want to eat / drink, the good thing is that he LOVES the peadi-lite iceblocks so at least I am able to get them into him happily

That little machine they used on his toe is to check his oxygen saturation levels smile 76% is quite low, im surprised they haven't kept him in hospital. Hope he gets better really soon xx

SATS @ 76%???? Holy cow that's low!!

I'm also surprised they didn't keep him in if they were that low

HeartKids show courage, strength & tenacity

Sign in to follow this topic