Huggies Forum

Oprah - autism - scary stuff Lock Rss

Posted by: belle2boys1girl
I too blame myself When you go for your first assesment the questions are asked about the pregnancy were you sick what was the birth like was it traumatic. Did I do some thing wrong some where to make my beautiful little boy like this......

Aw I feel so bad that both you and Robyn blame yourselves. I suppose it's part of being a mum, but really it's something that just happens isn't it?

Did they really ask you in the assessment about being sick during pregnancy and how traumatic the birth was? Geez I was sick the whole 9months and the birth definitely wasn't a walk in the park.

His school has a unit for asperges kids but that mainly deals with helping them deal with everyday things, he will possibly always have problems with reading and maths.I am not expecting him to finish school. Its day by day and step by step thing and i guess the more i am educated about asperges and what life is going to be like for him as an adult i just dont know. But with time i will hopefully have the tools to help him thru, alot of adults with asperges r married and have children of their own, which is a thing to stay possitive about.
Sorry to interupt but this has been on my mind a bit lately. Has anyone heard/read that there may be a link between autism and immunisations? I spoke to my mchn who said that there is research being done at the moment to find out if its related to the 12 mths (chicken pox-I think) vaccinations.

Does anyone know anything about this?????

/url

Posted by: belle2boys1girl
My DS#2 has Autism. we didnt get a diagnosis until he was nearly 4. We didnt realise anything was wrong until he was nearly 3. his speech was always delayed but his brother was the same and 1 day his brother just clicked and was talking properly this never happened with Zac.

The thing with Zac is he make eye contact it is very fleeting but he does do it.

I too blame myself When you go for your first assesment the questions are asked about the pregnancy were you sick what was the birth like was it traumatic. Did I do some thing wrong some where to make my beautiful little boy like this......

I know how u feel but its not ur fault, u have done nothing wrong, i asked that myself, what did i do wrong, why is my son like this. But hunny, we have very specail kids and they r unique. Our kids deal with things in a whole different way, and another thing to think about, these kids r often the happiest kids, as my son not alot bothers him, althou i was told that they deal with things this way cos they dont know how to express themselves. If u ever need to chat pm me, smile]
Posted by: girlboy
Sorry to interupt but this has been on my mind a bit lately. Has anyone heard/read that there may be a link between autism and immunisations? I spoke to my mchn who said that there is research being done at the moment to find out if its related to the 12 mths (chicken pox-I think) vaccinations.

Does anyone know anything about this?????

Yes i have read that, but as a parent with a special needs child i am not even going to think about that, as then it is my fault. IUKWIM And theres not alot that can be done about it if that is the cause for the kids that r effected.
I have got a info sheet here that was given to me by Autism S.A

What is the cause of Autism?

Currently there is no known cause of Autism. However reaserch indicates that genetic, biochemical, neorological, viral or problems during pregnancy and birth may be implicated in its development.

How common is Autism?

In Australia 1 in every 160 people have Autism Specrum Disorder making it one of the most common disabilities. It is more common than Cerebral Palsy, cystic fybrosis, downs syndrome vision impairement and hearing loss.

May 2008 is Autism Awareness month in Australia
Posted by: Juddsmum
Aw I feel so bad that both you and Robyn blame yourselves. I suppose it's part of being a mum, but really it's something that just happens isn't it?

Did they really ask you in the assessment about being sick during pregnancy and how traumatic the birth was? Geez I was sick the whole 9months and the birth definitely wasn't a walk in the park.

Yeah they do, and did u smoke, take drugs, drink. Did u eat the right things. I didnt smoke, take drugs or drink but still i have a special needs child. I smoked and drank with my first( I was young and stupid) he is a healthy young man with no medical problems. So i dont understand it.
Hi rainbow mum, i did not mean to imply that you could have possibly done anything to cause this. I'm so sorry if thats the way it came across!!! Nearly everyone gets their kids immunised on the advice of all the Dr's and medical experts, so I was by no mean suggesting it was at all preventable.

Anyway from what Belle sent it sounds like I'm listening to rubbish anyway.

Thanks

/url

The only link that has been found between Autism and immunisation is a 1 off case in America where the child had a genetic disorder and when immunised the child reacted to the immunisations and started to display Autistic characteristics.

My son has been genetically checked for a syndrome called fragile X.

The reason for people to say oh it is from immunistaions is because the differances are usually first noticed around 12 months of age when the child gets the 12 month needles. The lack of babble a child starting to spin wheels instead of playing with a car, lining toys up all starts around 12 months
Wow, no wonder you guys start to blame yourselves then if you get asked those sorts of questions. Like you said Robyn you did all the bad things and had no problems then do the right thing and not so well. So it's obviously something that just happens. I didn't realise that it was that common as 1 in 160 though - that is very scary.

Thanks Belle

/url

Posted by: girlboy
Hi rainbow mum, i did not mean to imply that you could have possibly done anything to cause this. I'm so sorry if thats the way it came across!!! Nearly everyone gets their kids immunised on the advice of all the Dr's and medical experts, so I was by no mean suggesting it was at all preventable.

Anyway from what Belle sent it sounds like I'm listening to rubbish anyway.

Thanks

Its ok u didnt upset me, its just something i choose not to think about. smile]
Sign in to follow this topic