Huggies Forum

my son and adhd....feel so alone Rss

hippomum wrote:
Well, it's not easy as he is a very picky eater and not fond of change! Breakfast is the easiest - gluten free cereal (from health food aisle at supermarket). Some of these are quite nice and he likes them. They are a bit pricey though, like all specialty foods. For snacks he can have rice crackers or corn chips instead of normal wheat crackers, biscuits etc. Again, this part is easy coz they are things he likes. Just look for ones without artificial additives if possible. I have started making GF bread as the loaves in the shops cost the earth. I found a good recipe on the internet which I am tweaking a bit. So with this I make him toast for lunch or afternoon tea. Also gluten-free pancakes are easy to make and can be had at any meal. I use a combination of GF plain flour and buckwheat, and replace the milk in the pancake recipe with vegetable puree (such as pumpkin or carrot or fruit) and a bit of rice milk. They come out fluffy and yummy. Apart from these things he has meat and fruit and potato. Veggies are a point of contention! Also I have partially replaced dairy with rice milk (look for the hi calcium variety) especially in cooking and in hot chocolate. When he wants some plain milk to drink he has A2 milk. Why? If you google A2 milk you'll find out why A2 is different to normal milk and a preferable choice for autistics.
It hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be replacing the gluten foods, just expensive! Dairy is harder to replace for us, that's why I'm compromising with A2, and he still has a bit of normal cheese.

ohh could i please get the recipe for you gf free bread?? my eldest is coeliac!! my bread never works lol!! also u can get gf pasta and snacks in most supermarkets.

Hi Jo

Reading your post really has me feeling for you. I have two sons ages 7 and 8, both with auditory processing issues and ADD.

Our boys are at a private school and see a speech therapist regularly. Thankfully in our case our kids school has been wonderful in providing the aide and extra assistance for our kids. They both get two 45 minute intensive learning support assistance twice a week, plus they are on IEP (indiv education plans) which takes the anxiety of having to meet the curriculum requirements out for them, when they are not at the moment capable of keeping up with the work of their classmates. Unfortunately AP issues are one of the most difficult of the learning issues to deal with our paed has said sad

Does your son receive extra learning support in the classroom? Does he see a speech therapist? Does the teacher have things in place to help his auditory issues, for instance my boys have difficulty concentrating in a noisy classroom environment so they have their own quiet learning space they can retreat to if they feel frustrated or overwhelmed by the classroom noise. Your son's ADHD symptoms would be peaking if he is frustrated and overwhelmed so I think your first step is speaking to your son's teacher about trying to reduce his stress levels in the classroom ... I find it really incredulous that a teacher would not be willing to bend over backwards to help. Do you think your son has really lucked out with his teacher perhaps and he might get someone who is a little more empathetic next year?

As for the whole medication debate this in my opinion is a very personal one for each family. I try and keep my kids diets as artificial preservatives and color free as possible ... but as for gluten free etc I am just not convinced. True ADD/ADHD is a chemical imbalance in the brain. Yes certain foods will exacerbate the problem but if it is present it is present in my beliefs. My kids exhibit the inattentive form of ADD, they are not classroom behaviour problems but there learning is severely affected by it. Personally, after seeing the results of DS2's testing only this past week (he had a full day of tests from neurometric, to memory, IQ and processing speed assessments) we have made the decision to trial him on medication. As the paed said, if we can take his concentration and focusing issues out of the equation in the classroom, then we give him a chance to work on improving his language/literacy associated with his auditory issues. OUr son is at the stage where his self esteem is dropping, he is emotional in class, he is shutting down about trying anything ... if we don't try this we'll be dealing with a kid on medication for depression :-| If we see no difference then it is something we can stop at any time and it is out of his system within 48 hours ... but that is our choice and our reasoning for trialling it ... he actually starts this week.
Thank you all for your comments, I will try the diet, anything is worth a try what do we have to lose. I am working very closely with the school and I am fighting every inch with them, which thanks to you guys gave me the support to do so, at the moment its paying off but I still need to get one on one time with him and the school. If I dont get this I will look into moving schools, since I wrote on here I have found 2 other kids in his class with APD but he is the only one with ADHD, but if he can form firendships with these kids it might help him alot, to have someone that understands how he feels, I have arranged a play date with one of the kids this sunday so fingers crossed.

one of the other mums whos child has APD is also thinking about changing schools so maybe if we fight together that might be good, also if they do change schools they might be together which might not be to bad.

thank you all again and stay in touch I would love to hear how it all works out for you guys.

Jo
Hi Jo
I had a meeting with my sons learning support team on Monday in light of the results we received last week ...
I just thought it was worthwhile mentioning that they said to me in TRUE ADHD kids that diet does not make a difference. Food intolerances can mimic ADHD behaviours. If you modify your child's diet and find certain foods trigger their behaviours then it's a food intolerance And not ADHD, so medication will make no difference to the kids. If you doubt your sons diagnosis I think ruling out food tolerances is very important if you have any doubts!

As for my DS ... he has started trialling a low dose of Dex this week. His teachers can't believe the difference. Normally he is zoning out or even rolling around on the carpet bored during mat time. This week he's been sitting up and actively listening, and for the first time all year he has been engaging in mat discussions, even putting his hand up to answer a question for the first time ever. His behaviour has been great and for the first time all year he's learnt to read and spell all his weekly spelling words smile I'm actually really quite hopeful now that this might help him smile
Thats great to hear about your son, Its such a good feeling when they turn a corner and you find somthing that works, thanks about the information about the diet, we have tried diets in the past and it didnt work, but my son compains about tummy ache quite offen and was wondering if it was gulten that was causing the problems.

I am pleased to see that you are getting the help you need, at least not all schools are like the one my son goes to which is a breath of fresh air.

Jo
Sign in to follow this topic