Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Your Baby's Family
  4. Household / Cleaning Hints & Tips
  5. What heating/cooling system does your house have?

What heating/cooling system does your house have? Lock Rss

We used to live in a cold country twon in south east WA. when we first bought the place it was just a tin house no isulation, 0degrees or below in winter, just an ice box!!!!!!!!!

We had a wood fire thing and it was PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!! We ended up guttering the place and renovating it and insulating it and the fire worked even better!! Put it on in the late arvo and it would toast the house right up for bed time.

Was great we had a huge shed down the back we filled to the brim with wood in summer so it was all ready to go for the next winter season. Nothing worse the chopping wet cold wood in the deas of winter! haha

So anyway yes if we were to build in a cold climate fire is the way i would go.

Not that we have to worry abot that for a while, Sunny QLD is awesome haha
We have ducted reverse cycle air conditioning and we have a slow combustion fire. Absolutely love the fire. Throw a few big logs in and it can burn all night and keeps your house toasty warm, whereas running ducted a/c all night would probably cost a fortune!!

I definitely recommend a slow combustion fire.

Sunny QLD sounds lovely smile

Thanks for that. We will be installing the thickest insulation we can get, in the ceiling and walls.
So a wood fire sounds like the best option?
How much was it to sustain? How many tonnes of wood would you go though?

I'm worried because the majority of our house will have ceramic tiles, very cold!!!

Um i have no idea.. but we would pretty much empty out the shed so it kept us busy on our slack weekends collecting more wood for winter.

Our house was also tiles and wood floors raised off the ground so very cold.
We have wood heating too, all we have ever had BUT I must admit I HATE that ours is built into the wall, it was an open fire and the previous owners put a wood heater in it.... most of the heat is lost in the chimney, you can go outside and the brick chimney is toasty warm!!! Go for a free standing wood heater, much warmer.... we also have a split system for A/C... can't help you with wood as we pay nothing for ours but I don't think decent wood is cheap
Hi,

I also live in SA and we have 2 Daikin Converter (I think thats what they called) split systems. One in our lounge and one in our kitchen area and I think they work really well. I havn't really needed to use the lounge room one that much this winter but we have the kitchen one running basically all evening and all night. I open up my kids bedroom doors before I go to bed and that is enough for their rooms to get to a comfortable temperature at night.

Cheers Emma
we've had ducted heating in the past 3 houses we've lived in and i dont find it expensive at all just dont have it up on 26 degrees.
it's freezing here in victoria at the moment and we have it on everyday and have been having in on through the night too as this house is an older house and i reckon it gets as cold in here at night as it is outside.. xo

the only thing i can complain about it, the heat comes in burts. one minute your too warm and the next it shuts off and your cold again sad

Just curious...
We're building a house in quite a cold area in South Australia and we are installing a ducted heating/cooling system, but it's probably going to be very expensive to run during winter.
Gas heating is great, we have natural mains gas now and it's quite cheap to run.
However, there's no mains gas where we're building.
We're thinking of getting a slow combustion wood fire? Not sure...
So what do you have and how well does it work for you

Cheers thanks smile

We live in a very cold climate area and have a slow combustion woodfire heater. Positives are its lovely to have a fire, just looking at it makes you feel warm and the heat is very nice. BUT the negatives far outweigh the positives - its alot of work what with chopping wood, stacking the wood once a tonne is delivered, lighting and maintaining, cleaning it out and then you need a gate to keep the kids away from it. Wood is now $245 a tonne and when we compare what we spend on wood over winter Vs what my mum pays for her electricity for ducted heating its about the same. You also still need to split the pieces to have smaller wood to get it going. We'd much rather press a button to have heating than be messing around with the fire... especially since the cost is the same - unless you are going to source your own wood which is very labour intensive.
We live in a similar area. We only have a gas heater and a slow combustion wood fire and a fan and we have a very old house so is poorly sealed.
A slow combustion fire is definitely better then gas. bottled gas is around $100 a bottle and if you use the gas heater daily you will go through a bottle a month at least. it also only heats the area in front of it, it goes cold as soon as you turn it off and the area needs ventilation points due to the fumes.

slow combustion: flu should be cleaned yearly (approx $50), have to clean ashes out and obviously have to source wood.(approx $250-$270 redgum) a tonne in Adelaide Hills. To look after your fire you should mainly burn hardwood. If you burn to much soft stuff it puts too much moisture in the bricks and can warp your fireplace.

In saying that though......I would never use anything but a slow combustion as my main source of heat. It holds the heat long after it has gone out, it heats a large area, you can use it for cooking, you can keep a kettle on top, it keeps food warm, you can dry clothes in front of it, you can control temp, you can choose how much you spend on it wood wise. it is very easy to maintain and it keeps you totally in control and aware of the energy you are using. We would go through 2/3 tonnes of wood a year. If you buy it all you are looking at approx $750 a year total heating. We have a big fireplace so we have never had to split wood that has been delivered. But the joy of this is you can source your own too. In the hills there are usually signs somewhere with trees that have fallen and offering free firewood. Even if you buy wood for the first couple of years, you can start stocking up on free wood and you will go for a few years and not pay or not pay as much. Even if you use your free wood for during the day and stick in a couple of redgum logs at night. In the hills there are always trees coming down and you can collect your own. I would recommend having a spot set aside for wood storage that is undercover. A little garden shed with concrete floor is perfect to stop rodents/snakes living amongst the logs.

It will be fine to heat a large open plan area, just get a freestanding one. I assume your north facing windows are double glazed to reduce heat loss. If not then they should be, otherwise whatever heating method you use will be totally wasted and you will have to wrap yourselves in animal skins to keep warm!

All the best!
We have ducted and I have found its quite expensive.
We only run it if we are FREEZING.

I would love a wood fire, but have no where to put it. sad

I live in Launceston Tasmania - very very very cold. We have a heatpump and in order to keep the mould/moisture/condensation at bay I have to run it 24 hours a day. Its costs about $6 a day to run, but I turn it down during the day and up during the night. Its like QLD in here.

Wood heaters are good too though, I wanted one of those but Launie is green and clean and cant get one so we have $3,500 worth of heater instead. You shoukd be able to find something online which will estimate how much it will cost to run per day and work out wood costs... for us is was definatly going to be cheaper for this than a wood heater.

Good luck and enjoy your move.
Omg i remember those terrible days when outside were 35 degree and we could not afford an air conditioner furthermore our ventilator was damaged and we couldn't do nothing at least to wait the evening, but thanks god that i have a kind boss who understood in what situation is my family and he helped me to solve this issue. Now after we installed the air conditioner that was purchased from http://www.airconservicingsingapore.com/ we don't have to worry anymore about those hot summer days that were a nightmare for me
Sign in to follow this topic