Huggies Forum

Body temperature question Lock Rss

I should really know the answers to the below questions but DS has hardly ever been sick so if someone could please help out I would be grateful.

1. What is the normal body temperature for a toddler?
2. What is considered a low range temperature?
3. What temperature is considered dangerous?

Thank you!

Normal range for temp is 36.5 - 37.5 in that its fine...

Depends if their is a history of seizures with temp but anything close to or over 39 i would consider dangerous

Normal is as pp said and anything over 40 is considered dangerous. A few months back my DS1 had a temp of just on 40 and i rang the 13health number who asked me a heap of questions but basically a high temp is the way the body reacts to fight an infection. So unless there are some other symptoms, just try some panadol to bring the temp down but dont try sponging or cold bathing to bring it down as it confuses the brain as to what it should be doing. I hope that makes sense

Thanks for that.

I can never remember the normal range. DS felt a bit warm (and a bit off his food) before his nap and his temp ranged from 37.0 - 37.4. So that would be o.k but I'll re-test when he wakes up. I don't really trust the thermometer I have as I don't seem to be able to get consistant readings.

Thanks again.

[Edited on 07/01/2010]
If the temp is 39, I give panadol/nurofin. I know that it's the bodies way of fighting infection etc but there is a line where you can be risking febrile convulsions. I work at the hossie here, and the amount of times we see children that have been convulsing due to their temps is amazing - and VERY stressful for the parents.

The only thing we do is give them panadol and nurofin at the same time (they work in separate ways so it's safe to give them together) to get the temp down as fast as possible. This can be done at home and could prevent seizures.

at that temp i'd prolly just be dressing him in just a nappy n maybe take him outside to play under the sprinkler to cool him off.. could just be because its a hot day and you know urself you feel a bit tired n yukky when its a hot day

Temps can spike really fast. Its scary.

My DS as a baby seemed a little off color so we went to lay down in my bed together next thing I know he was having a ferbile convulsions, so so scary. His lasted ages & i called an ambulance.
He went all blue & bubbled from his mouth. Im a panicker with temps now & they get panadol as soon as it starts to go up.

I wasn't aware you could give nurofen and panadol together. Handy to know for future reference.

A couple of months ago he had gastro and his temp was mid 38's but we got it down by stripping him off, a cool bath and panadol. If we couldn't then we were ready to go off to the hosp. I always worry if his temp goes over 37 (paranoid mum!)

A friends DD had a febrile convulsion a little while ago and she said it was the most frightening thing to witness. Luckily they were in the hospital's carpark when it happened.

Even though DS's is low at the moment I think you know when something is not right with your child. There is that much going around at the moment.

Thank you all... : )
I think some clarification is needed about temps and febrile convulsions cause there seems to be a lot of misunderstanding about them.

A febrile convulsion occurs when there is a RAPID increase in body temperature, not just because it is high, and can in fact occur with a temp under 39 degrees. There also seems to be a genetic trigger for them so if the mum or dad for example have ever had one there is an increased risk that your children will as well.

I'm sure no one wants to see their child have one, but at the same time if you are always short circuiting their immune system by bringing down a fever for something that occurs in less than 3% of children then that could have wider implications for their overall health. If you decide that the 3% is too high a risk for you, then that's fine, they're your kids and I'm not saying you shouldn't if that's what you feel is best for them.

We are 'alternative' in that we only give panadol/nurofen if they appear to be in pain and when DS2 had tonsillitis when he was 11 months old he had panadol twice the whole time he was ill and had the fever for about 4 days. We manage temps with tepid baths and rest and keeping up their fluid intake.

yes- rapid or PROLONGED high temp will cause a febrile convulsion.

If the childs temp is above 39 degrees, it's quite likely that the child feels like absolute shieza too - I give my dd panadol, or panadol as well as nurofen if her temp wont go down - and I'm not 'short circuiting' her immune system at all. Anti-biotics are what stop the body from fighting infection, NOT panadol or nurofen.

Yes the body is fighting something if they have a temp, but it IS well known that a childs hypothalamus (the area in the brain that regulates body temp) is not properly developed until much older. Therefore, there will be times when the kid might need a little help. Why do you think febrile convulsions are much less common in adults??

Nobody has said 'give panadol if you think the child feels even just a little bit warm'. It's not like everybody feeds them drugs with every meal.

IF you worked where I did, and IF your child had a febrile convulsion, I think you would have a completely different view on this matter C_Hippie.

Why and how do you know that haven't?

I've dealt with alot of stuff with DS1, in fact he spent nearly the first year of his life in and out of hospital so don't presume that YOU know how I'd feel if it were MY child. Would I feel like crap, sure, do I want it to happen to my kids hell no BUT panadol/nurofen can't STOP a febrile convulsion from happening. Yes a convulsion is a scary to watch....and I should know cause my sister has epilepsy and I have seen a damn few good seizures in my time. The majority of febrile convulsions have NO lasting effect on the child anyway so though scary, once they've had it it is over and done with and if you hadn't witnessed it you might even not know they'd had one.

Treating a fever with the aim to get it down DOES 'short circuit' the immune system because the fever is the body's RESPONSE to infection and it's goal is to FIGHT the infection so 'kill' the fever and your immune response 'suffers' for it. The fever lets you know that your body is doing its job and I don't fear that. Numerous studies have shown that fever enhances the immune response by increasing mobility and activity of white cells called leukocytes which disable bacteria and viruses and remove damaged tissue from the body. Antiviral and antibacterial properties of interferon are also increased with fever. With a rise in temperature, iron is removed from the blood and stored in the liver, further disabling the rate at which bacteria can multiply. How can that be a 'bad' thing?

I had NO idea about fevers until I did heaps of research on them following on from some other research I was doing at the time and I used to readily give DS1 pamol when he had a fever; now when they are sick I give pamol for any discomfort they might be in but not purely because they have a fever like I have in the past, tepid baths and then they usually 'sleep it off'. Like I said, if parents want to give their kid pamol/nurofen for fever that is up to them.

sure you're right, panadol can't 'stop' a seizure as in if it's already happening. But it sure as hell can prevent one. The meaning of febrile is HOT.

You can research something all you like, but at the end of the day if you are SEARCHING for the down-side of something because that's what you want to believe, that's what you will find! There are pro's and con's for absolutely anything in life, including NOT giving panadol for a fever.

Tepid baths cause vasoconstriction (narrowing of the blood vessles, happens anytime we feel cold from an outside source) and induces shivering, therefore raising a temp even further. The latest research recomends we DO NOT use tepid baths. It is now recommended that the child be dressed lightly, not nude or in underwear as it has the same effect.

Short term use of the correct dose of paracetamol and iboprofin have NO longterm effects. and I might just add here that all those whitecells and the effect of the body fighting illness STILL happens if they have panadol, it just slows the process. The immune system STILL recognises the infective pathogen the next time it comes, so no it doesn't 'harm' it, or 'short-circuit' it. As I said, Anti-biotics are the ones that stop the immune system response, not panadol. Even as a health professional I don't recommend anti-biotics, but they do still have a time and a place and are necessary in some situations. Just like everything else in life has a time and a place.

I could go on and on here (already have), and of course someone who works in the nursing industry and someone who is alternate is not going to agree. It's quite obvious that many people have an distrust of most things that are introduced by the medical system (including immunisations). It's funny how these same things that have been introduced have saved millions of lives.

Anyway, that's it from me, you can sprout off as much as you like, but I've voiced my opinion. Obviously if I am to work in the medical profession I am going to have faith in it. Espeicially when I see the positive results that happen in my workplace. I'm very proud to contribute to that.

Have a happy life. I will.

[Edited on 10/01/2010]

Sign in to follow this topic