Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Depression Lock Rss

Do you think it is something that HAS to be treated, or do you think once realised/diagnosed the person could make a conscious effort to work on their mindset?

Do you think it is something that HAS to be treated, or do you think once realised/diagnosed the person could make a conscious effort to work on their mindset?

good question. In my experience..I tried changing my mindset..and in a way it was working at first..but i was already so bad that if the slightest upsetting thing happened, it would send me right over the edge, but definately trying to make a natural change is a big reccomendation. Though myself I had to get treatment smile

Most doctors when they first diagnose it will get you to make a conscious effort to work on it before they prescribe medications. They will also recommend talking to a councillor as medication alone will not fix everything. I believe changing your mindset will go a long way to improving your condition, but if it does fail, dont be afraid to seek other treatments for it.
I think it depends on the individual smile
I was diagnosed with PND after my 2nd son and decided that I could beat it on my own, with exercise and herbal supplements and positive thoughts. I think it helped but not enough. I finally caved and went to the dr, who prescribed AD's. I was only sorry I waited so long to see him as the difference they made to my life, and my family's, was massive.

But I do believe the power of the mind is massive...it's just very hard for a depressed person to exercise that power to their greatest ability.
I was diagnosed with PND after my 3rd child and that later led to a diagnosis of BP. Over the years I have tried both medication and therapy and trying to get through it on my own and I have to say that I have now been medicated constanly for 2 years and I would never consider going back. Why deliberately make yourself suffer when you have the ability to make life easier? Ofcourse it differs between individuals but I would definately say that if you're having a hard time dealing with it yourself, seek the help of medication and proper counseling. There is a program called Better Outcomes that gives you 9 free sesions with a psychologist over 12 months. See your doctor for more info and best of luck!!! I hope you start getting things back on track so you can start to enjoy your life again, cause you only get one shot at it!!! grin
for me, it HAD to be treated.
Once i got through the worst part, i weaned myself off medication and was able to "control" it myself but definately i needed to be treated.
Depression needs to be treated weather it is with drugs or counselling.

I have suffered from it since the age of 15. I have been on medication much of the last 10 years. when I was younger I tried changing the way I was think but it just did not work for me.
Sign in to follow this topic