Huggies Forum

Prostate cancer - prognosis? Lock Rss

My FIL has been diagnosed with prostate cancer, it has also spread to his ribs and his spine. He's about to start treatment - tablets of female hormones because he's been told this type of cancer spreads through testostorone(sp?). His doctors won't give him any type of time frame as they don't want to be wrong, but we would like to have some type of idea for planning to visit them etc (they live opposite end of Aus to us).

Does anyone have experience with prostate cancer and what was the outcome? He has been told in terms of seriousness he rates a 9 out of 10 so it's pretty bad I guess.
I am not sure with this particular type of cancer, but generally where there are secondary and tertiary cancers the severity increases, therefore decreases the outcome. However, it also depends upon the type and size of the cancers and type of treatment...and how he responds to treatment!

Has he been told it is aggressive (and how aggressive?)?? The more aggressive it is.....

You need more information from Doctors to be able to clarify this...

Link for you:
http://www.prostate.org.au/articleLive/
I'll be blunt - the cancer has already spread - it's as serious as it gets. Visit him asap, whilst he's still reasonably well and with it.

I'll be blunt - the cancer has already spread - it's as serious as it gets. Visit him asap, whilst he's still reasonably well and with it.

That was my feeling but DH is trying not to talk or think about it at all which is why I'm trying to get as much info as possible. My DD2 turns 1 in September and I'm wondering whether he would actually get to see her again (met her once when she was born) if we waited until then - probably not!

Oops, meant to say thanks for being so blunt too - I really do mean that. Some people just "pussy foot" around the not so nice things in life and then people miss out don't they. So a big thank you for your honesty.

My FIL has been diagnosed with prostate cancer, it has also spread to his ribs and his spine. He's about to start treatment - tablets of female hormones because he's been told this type of cancer spreads through testostorone(sp?). His doctors won't give him any type of time frame as they don't want to be wrong, but we would like to have some type of idea for planning to visit them etc (they live opposite end of Aus to us).

Does anyone have experience with prostate cancer and what was the outcome? He has been told in terms of seriousness he rates a 9 out of 10 so it's pretty bad I guess.

Yes my now ex BF's dad died from primary prostate cancer and secondary lung cancer. He went from looking healthy and happy to being on his death bed within 7 months and i saw him the day before he died. Was not pretty. His was very severe however because he was one of those 'proud' men who refused to get checked up. I guess his worrying about getting a finger up him bum was silly considering all the poking and prodding he had to go thru in the last half year of his life. I guess hindsight is a great thing aye. It was so damn gutting too cos we very close and he was so cool. Pity his son wasn't the same!

Your FIL sounds the same. I hope the outcome is different but i dont like the sound of it.
I know it's hard for your DH. My grandfather died of mesothelioma and my dad didn't want to accept the diagnosis at first. He would be on the net 24/7 searching for "miracle cures".
The worst thing about this disease is that it can eventually spread to the brain and really affect a person's personality & cognition. At least if you go and visit him now he'll still be "himself". September is 6 months away - that's a long time...
My father has myloid leukemia-sp- he has had this for 3yrs and recently has been told he has agressive prostate cancer which has spread to his bladder.

He is on the hormone treatment that you are talking about and has been on it for about 10months. For him it has slowed the progression of the cancer but he does not have it the bone yet. They say that the hormone treatment can work for up to 5years i think and once it stops working the cancer just takes over.

It is considered pallitative care only, my dad has just gone on to painkiller patches which are a morphine type base. The hormones strip the testosterone so expect him to be more emotional and needing more love and reassurance. My dad is unable to handle normal everyday hiccups these days.

If you can go and see him, he will be needing family around him. I dont live in the same country as my mum and dad, I live in nz and they live in Cairns, Australia so it makes it hard for me but I have a plan where I can call him every day if I want to and I do!

You should know within 4 weeks if the treatment is making any difference. I always have a plan B in action if I need to get to mum and dad in a hurry.

All the best, I hope that the treatment gives him some time. If you have any direct question you can PM me if you would like.

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

I lost my Pop to prostate cancer nearly 12mths ago {9th April is 12mths} and it wasn't pretty. Once the cancer spreads to the bones it moves pretty fast so I'd be making plans ASAP to go see your FIL while he's still reasonably well.

HeartKids show courage, strength & tenacity

I lost my Pop to prostate cancer nearly 12mths ago {9th April is 12mths} and it wasn't pretty. Once the cancer spreads to the bones it moves pretty fast so I'd be making plans ASAP to go see your FIL while he's still reasonably well.

Can you be specific about "pretty fast"? 6 months? 3 months?
We found out in December 09 that it had spread to his bones and he was gone in April sad

HeartKids show courage, strength & tenacity

We found out in December 09 that it had spread to his bones and he was gone in April sad

Thanks for that
Sign in to follow this topic