Huggies Forum

Prostate cancer - prognosis? Lock Rss

My FIL has been diagnosed with prostate cancer, it has also spread to his ribs and his spine. He's about to start treatment - tablets of female hormones because he's been told this type of cancer spreads through testostorone(sp?). His doctors won't give him any type of time frame as they don't want to be wrong, but we would like to have some type of idea for planning to visit them etc (they live opposite end of Aus to us).

Does anyone have experience with prostate cancer and what was the outcome? He has been told in terms of seriousness he rates a 9 out of 10 so it's pretty bad I guess.

Hey hun firstly GBH to you and your family. I work as an oncology nurse, all cancers have different stagings and without knowing what his exact staging is it hard to say how long. Every body tolerates and responses to chemo differently he could have anywhere from months to a 2 years depending on the staging.
Given that he has boney mets I would go see him ASAP because they are very painful for the person and that is not how you want to see and remember him but there are lots of different treatments out there for pain management.

Hey hun firstly GBH to you and your family. I work as an oncology nurse, all cancers have different stagings and without knowing what his exact staging is it hard to say how long. Every body tolerates and responses to chemo differently he could have anywhere from months to a 2 years depending on the staging.
Given that he has boney mets I would go see him ASAP because they are very painful for the person and that is not how you want to see and remember him but there are lots of different treatments out there for pain management.

Thank you for that. I think I'll send DH up in the next couple of months to be on the safe side. And now I'm also leaning towards sending my four year old DD with him so she hopefully sees him before he gets too sick.
i know how it feels to have someone wit prostate cancer my dads 3 brothers have had it and my dad has had it and my pop also died of it wen i was only 3 im now 22. but lucky for some of my uncles they got it early my dad has his cancer removed the robotic way but is still having troubles with the psi level but one of my uncles is still having trouble. i would suggest going to see your FIL its hard to tell how long things will take.
Sign in to follow this topic