Huggies Forum

IMPLANON Rss

Hi everyone, my gp really wants me to get the implanon inserted due to medical reasons. For some reason I just don't like the idea. I don't know if it's beacause i am scared of it hurting for ages or the fact that we want to ttc in no later then 4 months (maybe longer depending on health). So I have heaps of Q's. I asked my gp alot of them but I thought you ladies might know more.

How much does is hurt when they put it in and how much when they take it out. How long does it hurt for after the procedure?

What are the side effects that you have experienced? Did you loose/gain weight?

If I want to take it out in 3 months can I??? I think it maybe to short of time and therfore not worth it.

How long did it take for your cycle to return to normal after the removal???

Sorry for all the questions. One minute I am certain I am getting it the next minute I have changed my mind again. Thanks for your help

Nothing good to say about it sorry.

I had it in for about two years and bled the entire time, one very long period!

I had no weight loss or gain. No other side effects really. But the bleeding was bad enough.

Going in it didn't hurt at all with a local but taking it out...
well, my doctor was short on time and didn't wait for the local to work properly and I felt the whole, scalpel slicing into the arm experience which was pretty unpleasant.

My cycle returned to normal a few months after taking it out.
I had the same bleeding experience except I could only take about 6 months of it before I had it out. It didn't think it was that bad getting it in and out but it was just the whole incovenience of it all. My mum had the same issues when she had it in as well.
I was the complete opposite, I had no bleeding at all and no pain. I had it in for about 2 years and it took a month to get my period back to normal. If the doc thinks you need it for medical reasons maybe you should consider it?

How much does is hurt when they put it in and how much when they take it out. How long does it hurt for after the procedure?

What are the side effects that you have experienced? Did you loose/gain weight?

If I want to take it out in 3 months can I??? I think it maybe to short of time and therfore not worth it.

How long did it take for your cycle to return to normal after the removal???

Sorry for all the questions. One minute I am certain I am getting it the next minute I have changed my mind again. Thanks for your help

The procedure itself didn't hurt - it was done under local anesthesia - so just the pain of the needle. You can watch it be put in, or you can look away - I watched.
There was a couple of days of tenderness afterwards, but it wasn't painful
Taking it out was simple, a needle to numb the area, they cut open the skin, slip it out and your done. Didn't hurt at all

Implanon has been the only form of contraception that I haven't fallen pregnant on - I did put on a bit of weight with it though. I had it in for 3 years. Didnt have a period for the first 18-20mnths, then only a light period once a month after that.

I had it taken out of the first day of a period, went one cycle, to the next period, then fell pregnant with twins, - so 6 weeks after removal we were pregnant - cycle was normal with removal

Yes you can use it for just 3 months - it can be removed at any time.

My Gynae tells me it seems to be more effective (less side effects) in women over 30, who have already had children, Lots of women do have bleeding with it, you can be given an estrogen only pill as well, to try and combat that if it is concerning you

The implanon is my most favourite form of non-permanent contraception,
My all time favourite is Adiana, which I have now, although it is irreversible, and permanent but also hormone free

Good luck with your decision - I am pro-Implanon though smile it was great for me
Thanks so much for the response guys! Thanks ricki you gave me heaps of info. I really do need to have it so I am booked into the docs next tuesday to get it put in. Happens to be my birthday Hooray what a great present lol. Once again thank-you

I had mine removed last august after about 8mnths with it in. First couple of days were terrible!, couldn't eat, slept the whole two days pretty much. Had huge headaches for a few weeks following, hair loss (enough to make me panic). My cycles went from 6weeks to now 2-3weeks apart angry We have been TTC since removal and still nothing sad I was on the depo provera from 15yrs old through to about 23yrs old (Now 26) and conceived after a year.

Going by personal experience I will never recommend this to anyone, had seen articles that quite a few woman had gotten pregnant overseas while using it too.

A question I have is has anyone experienced hair loss when they got it but also have they had any since removal?, being just about a year later for myself I have noticed some hair loss in exactly the same place it occured when I had insertion of implanon

ARGHHH sad
I had it..
Was awesome to start with, for about 2 years actually. Then I just started bleeding. Would think I had my period, then about 4 days later I'd start bleeding again. Then it wouldn't for like 2 or 3 months.. Never got pregnant with it, but decided to take it out because I just needed to get my body back to 'normal'.

Dr advised the pill, so took a couple of months of that.. then just stopped it all. The inconsistent bleeding sucked.

Told DP that he needed to wear condoms til I got back to normal. Condoms lasted about 2 weeks and apparently we started trying for a baby.

Took 3 months & BAM was pregnant.

Whoops, kind of deviated there. I know you have the implanon now, so how do you like it??

I loved mine at the start, had no periods for nearly a whole year, but i piled on the weight with it, no matter what i did it just kept going up and up (about 5 kgs)

After about 12 months of it, i started getting periods again - every two weeks!! and i was an absolute nightmare to live with. Felt like i wanted to rip everybodies heads off all the time!!

Nearly everyone i know has had issues with it. As soon as i had mine removed i felt so much better, and i lost all the weight i had put on within 3 months!

Good luck with your decision!
I had mine in for about 12 months and I swear that it affected my emotions! I was a complete grouch as a result. I also had constant spotting which was awful. I didnt gain any weight though, and I do think my skin was quite clear whilst on it but other than that, the only good thing I can say about it was that I didnt have to think about taking a pill every day!!
The actual procedure was quite good. I didnt feel anything, but my arm was a bit sore for a couple of days afterward when DS1 would lay on it to feed, or when I picked him up. I also fell pregnant within 6 weeks of having it taken out.
I have a friend though, who's doctor broke hers whilst taking it out and is, even to this day, adamant that there was a piece of it left behind because it took her 2 years to fall pregnant - Im not sure what the risks are of that, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
I just did a quick search and it is being discontinued (no more to be made but the rest can still be used) and Nexplanon is suppose to be the one to get instead
Sign in to follow this topic