Huggies Forum

ticks and young children Lock Rss

hey ladies

we live in a bush area on the southcoast so ticks are just a part of life for us, ive always lived in areas like this so know all about the species, effects blah blah blah and have pulled many hundreds off myself in my life (esp doing bush surveys for uni! i had 52 on me at once..personal record lol)
but my Q is... my kids get a few of them, i pulled 8 off my 2.5yr DD tonight and one off my 16month DS, just from playing in the yard but getting them to sit still enough or to hold them while i try to get them off isnt easy. they move and as a result i havnt been able to remove some of the buggers intact.

any tips for easily getting ticks off younger children? without too much trauma, i mean i dont want to have to lay or sit on them to keep them still but the 'itchy bities' as we call them must come off!
when I was young I had one mum just got tweesers and pulled it off and killed it but I was 7 so I dunno if you could just say "if you dont get it off you could become very sick" might get them to sit still for 2 mins lol

when I was young I had one mum just got tweesers and pulled it off and killed it but I was 7 so I dunno if you could just say "if you dont get it off you could become very sick" might get them to sit still for 2 mins lol

my DD is ok shes nearing 3 now and she'll stay still for the first one or 2 ticks but if she has anymore thats it she fights me a bit about it, i tell her 'the itchy bitie has to come off darling and then youll feel better'
but my DS is only 16months so its nothing short of a wrestling match with him sad.
we gets LOTS of them where we live, like i said today was 9 in total, yesterday i pulled off 3 and my poor step dad walked thru a nest a few months ago and had over 200 larval ones on him and had to go to hospital so the nurses could pick them all off!

atm i just use pointed tweezers and then dab some pure tea tree oil on the bite after, try to be quick about it but you have to be care ful to get a close to the skin as possible or you just squeeze more toxin in and then rip the body off and leave the head..which can become infected like a splinter.
I was covered in kangaroo ticks once (from bush camping). I pulled them all off with tweezers, but an old bushwalker later told me that if you spray a bit of surface spray onto a cotton bud and rub the tick with it so that it dies before you pull it off, it's gonna stay intact.
we used to be in an area the same as you, ticks everywhere. my girls were bout the same age as your two then. i always found putting tea tree oil on BEFORE you tweeze makes it easier

we used to be in an area the same as you, ticks everywhere. my girls were bout the same age as your two then. i always found putting tea tree oil on BEFORE you tweeze makes it easier

oh ok ive never tried putting it on before.. will give it a go. def wont be using surface spray tho insecticides on an open wound are not a good idea so id ignore that old bushwalker smile normally if you try to put something on a tick to kill it it actually buries in further and is then harder to get off..would tea tree do this too?
From the vet or a pet store you can get a 'tick twister'.
It's a little green plastic hook thing that is designed to get the head out intact.
Quicker and easier than tweezers too

From the vet or a pet store you can get a 'tick twister'.
It's a little green plastic hook thing that is designed to get the head out intact.
Quicker and easier than tweezers too

ahh thats peaked my interest grin is it only for animals tho? i guess it wouldnt matter my kids are animals half the time anyway lol thanks ill look into it smile x
anything to make the whole ordeal quicker would be good

got one from the chemist $17.95 for those who may be interested, looks like the go, acts like the back of a hammer around the base of the tick rather then trying to get the tweezers down there, should be much quicker...cheers bubblegut!!!!
Sign in to follow this topic