Huggies Forum

Health insurance Rss

I am looking at getting health insurance cover but i have no idea were to start.

i have looked at a couple of websites and they are coming in around $250 dollars a fortnight for us. money we just simply dont have. I was wondering if i should just go with extra's and leave the hospital cover out of it. If any of you lovely ladies have any advice for me please let me know. This is all bamboozalling me.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Wow I haven't got health insurance but that seems like alot to me! I don't know it could be that much but I did look at getting it a year or so ago and I'm pretty sure it wasn't that much. Maybe give i select or something like that a call and see what they offer aswell. Sorry I wasn't much help.

Try iselect to get quotes, that way it will be easier to find a better price.
It really depends on what your family will need as to what cover to get. Are you trying to avoid the medicare levy? If you are I think you can only have no hospital cover for a few years before you get stung. Have a look on medicare and aust gov websites for more info regarding that, Im not a full book, wouldnt want to lead you up the wrong path.

It depends on the purpose of the cover:

A) Are you fussed about private hosptial cover for operations and/or pregnancy? Not having pregnancy significantly reduces the fee.

cool Do any of your family wear glasses - you may need optical.

C) Do any of your family have problems with their teeth, if so, how bad - you may need basic dental.

D) Do any of your family attend physio, chiro etc - these will need to be added.

E) For tax benefits only, get abulance cover only.

If you go on the iSelect website, you can decide all these things online and you will be quite surprised how much you can save. It is however, a very personal decision. Also consider whether it's worth having two seperate policies. One for your partner and kids and another for you only (with pregnancy), at times it can be cheaper to go in as a single top cover, than a family top cover.
We have to have a 52% loading fee on ours. I just rang one of them and they said because dp is 56 and hasn't had health insurance before that's why it is so high. and so that was why i am now more considering just having the extras. No i am not trying to dodge the Medicare levy. we are starting to need the glasses and stuff for us. i gave iselcet a look over but they only seem to have more exspencive companies like hcf and austrailian unity.

thanks for your suggestions though

I am looking at getting health insurance cover but i have no idea were to start.

i have looked at a couple of websites and they are coming in around $250 dollars a fortnight for us. money we just simply dont have. I was wondering if i should just go with extra's and leave the hospital cover out of it. If any of you lovely ladies have any advice for me please let me know. This is all bamboozalling me.

Thanks for your help in advance.

WOW that sounds extremely expensive. Can I ask who that is through as I have the highest cover possible with Medibank Private and I pay that a month. I would go to iselect as a PP has said as they compare all the companies.
We only have extras and are with gmhba...only costs us $20/month after the govt rebate! we have silver extras with them smile all dental, physio, optical etc smile

We have to have a 52% loading fee on ours. I just rang one of them and they said because dp is 56 and hasn't had health insurance before that's why it is so high. and so that was why i am now more considering just having the extras. No i am not trying to dodge the Medicare levy. we are starting to need the glasses and stuff for us. i gave iselcet a look over but they only seem to have more exspencive companies like hcf and austrailian unity.

thanks for your suggestions though

We go through GMBHA and find them great for extras and were the cheapest for combined. The loading fee drops after 10 years so considering we all need more medical care as we get older it may be worth it.
I'm with AHM, we pay about $250 a month i think for family hospital (the highest) becasue it covers pregnancy and basic extras (the lowest) so it just covers glasses but not eye surgery, dental appoints etc. It does not cover larger thing like knee and hip surgery i think. I got a letter after having bub to say that my hospital bills came to $2000 and something and it was all taken care of by the heallth fund. Only real benefit of private for pregnancy for me was I got a room with its own bathroom. which i was very greatful for. Just rang about getting 3 wisdom teeth removed. The bill is going to be about $1300 and I think I'll get about $500 back after I pay the bill then lodge it with the fund. But I don't quite understand I think if I wait till after oct I might get more back, due to having bub in same year and already using something up.
I don't really know a lot about it just thought it was something I should have. Never thought about having DH and I on seperate ones and only having the highest hospital for me. might be worth looking into that.
Sign in to follow this topic