Huggies Forum

coeliac disease and gluten free diets Lock Rss

Im getting tested for coeliac disease in about 3 weeks but the more i look into the symptoms the more it makes sense. The only solution is a 100% gluten free diet.

So im just wondering if anyone here has this or is on a gluten free diet. was it hard to weed out the gluten in your diet, and did you find it alot more expensive buying the gluten free alternative

mum to one goregous boy

My understanding is that Gluten free is very very different from Coeliac, just check what they are testing for, Gluten is not too hard to give up, little bit more expensive in the beginning , but your diet will change, now as for coeliac there list is huge for things they cannot have ( a lot more than gluten)..
Just wait till you find out what the results say, as it could either one or even a wheat free diet to follow (yes wheat free is different to gluten free)
Hi
I got tested for cealiacs - it was after ds2 I started getting heaps of attacks from bread type foods that the dr suspected it when blood tests for cealiacs indicators were extremely high. I dropped down to 48kg cause of the chronic diarrhea And vomitting bouts sad

The endoscopy/colons opt ruled out cealiacs but said I was gluten intolerant. That was good news as if you have cealiacs your body cannot tolerate a sceric of gluten ... Even a bread crumb in margarine will damage a cealiacs intestines ...

I went strict gluten free after my test - as the years have gone on I have been able to eat bread/gluten again ... I just need to be careful with amounts. I try and eat gluten free during the week and enjoy 'treats' on weekend. That way I dont miss out on the yummy breads etc but I'm not letting my tummy get to the point of causing an attack
Coeliacs disease is a lifelong intolerance to gluten. Your immune system reacts badly to the gluten in foods, causing damage to the bowel. This damage is reversible once gluten is removed from your diet. Gluten is added to many products, even some chocolates, tinned foods, sauces. You will need to get very good at label reading smile

It is also naturally found in wheat, rye, barley and it's recommended you avoid oats.

If you are going for a test in a few weeks' time, don't cut out anything from your diet yet, as this can change the results.

It's probably a little more expensive to go gluten free, as the ready made products cost more, but the good thing is, there are so many options available now, even in restaurants. Check out the Coeliac Society of Aust website for the most reliable info smile I think even Women's Weekly have a GF cookbook, which is quite good. Some of the Gf flour mixes are quite good, and you could just try replacing the regular flour in baked goods. The result will be a bit drier and crumbly, but still good.

Good luck, at least if you are coeliac, you'll have an answer as to why you've not felt well, and it's easily remedied:)

Oh, and the only thing you can't have if you're coeliac, is gluten. smile
My DD and myself are both gluten intolerant. How hard it is to change your diet depends on how much gluten you eat now. I didn't find it terribly hard because we mostly eat meat, veg, fruit, eggs and rice. There are heaps of gluten free products available now and I've ended up baking cakes etc myself.
It is more expensive is you buy gluten free breads, biscuits etc, but if you make your own, or change to salads/rice etc it makes it cheaper than buying speciality products. There are heaps of foods that are naturally gluten free. Whatever you do don't cut anything out until you've been tested, it'll skew the results.
As PP said, much more important to be well, and there are ways around spending heaps.
Allergy Riders is a new site that does gluten free cupcake wrappers & food flags!
Sign in to follow this topic